Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
pubquiz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/04

Loc: Lancashire England
Thought I had ruined my Argo Navis...a warning
      #4414379 - 02/27/11 07:42 AM

Hi All

While setting up for imaging last night I found that the Dec readout on my Argo Navis wasn't working.

I didn't have much time for a full investigation as I wanted to get on with the imaging but I did try swapping the dec and az leads around and narrowed it down to a problem with either the handbox or the leads as both encoders were working fine.

Anyway in the light of a new day I turned it on this morning and found that there was no display at all!

I also smelled a rusty musty smell from the handbox and immedialtely knew what the problem might be.

I took off the battery cover and yes like an idiot I had left the batteries in (for months) and they had totally ooozed and there was brown runny sticky stuff everywhere

Oh no I thought it is goosed!

So I took it all apart and thoroughly cleaned it all...some was on the circuit board as well which I throughly cleaned and dried ...must have been a drop shorting something out causing the initial dec readout problem.

All the battery contact springy wires were rotted through!

Anyway after a thorough clean I plugged it in and it all works fine

I only left the batteries in because sometimes in use the power plug had pulled out entailing a re alignment...it is always used with a power supply as it is permanently in my observatory.....I KNOW..it says clearly in the book don't leave batteries in so I know I shouldn't have done...I have slapped my own wrists

So I have removed all remnants of coroded battery springs and sealed off the wires to the battery compartment.

I have securely taped the power plug on the handbox so it doesn't fall out in use.

So have a check on your batts if they have been in any of your equipment a while and take them out when not in use!

A lesson learned.:o

BTW I am sure if I would have had to have the Argo repaired I would have got good service...I have had some excellent immediate replies from Gary at Wildcard Innovations to my questions over the years..great customer service.

Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 516

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics