Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Operating LXD75 remotely
      #4415593 - 02/27/11 06:46 PM

With very cold winter this year, I started doing most of my imaging remotely with netbook controlling guiding and DSLR; and me controlling netbook remotely using VNC.
I still have to do certain things while being outside, but I want to reduce such operations.
This becomes important with oncoming mosquitoes season, so I was wondering if it would be possible to fully control LXD75 mount remotely, i.e. do alignment and target acquisition remotely.
I tried it at home using Cartes de Ciel and it seems to be working.
The main issue I can see is that mount may cause collision of motors or OTA with mount.
Has anyone operated LXD75 remotely? If so, any ideas on how to avoid collisions? Any other thoughts?

Alex

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Orion4211
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/13/05

Loc: North New Jersey
Re: Operating LXD75 remotely new [Re: avarakin]
      #4415836 - 02/27/11 08:34 PM

You can operate it remotely but you would have to set everything up first: polar align, align computer, etc... I use the sky 6 to run the scope, maxim DL for the guide cam and dslr. Once everything is in place, I never touch the scope, so... you would be able to remote login to your computer via your house and run everything.

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: Operating LXD75 remotely new [Re: Orion4211]
      #4415961 - 02/27/11 09:35 PM

Joshua,
Thanks for comments.
Did you ever have collision issues?
Of course there is no way to avoid polar align, but I was hoping to do computer aligning remotely, if possible.
One thought I had was: instead of aligning with hand control, do this: align with a star like Sirius manually, focus, go home and then do Sync in scope control software. Assuming that polar align is nearly perfect (in any case a requirement for AP), such alignment method should be pretty accurate.

Alex

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 465

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics