Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jeffrey lessing

Reged: 10/31/10

CG5 problem
      #4418168 - 02/28/11 11:06 PM

Just got CG5 and out of box cannot get it to work. Specifically, when I get to two star align and slew to the first star, it slews to something, stops and then "initialization" begins to scroll again instructing you to begin at the beginning of the process again. I called Celestron and was told to spread the prongs in the power receptical for better contact. I did this and the power cord does stay in the receptical more firmly but this did not fix problem. I went to utilities and reset to factory settings and this did not help. Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: CG5 problem new [Re: jeffrey lessing]
      #4418234 - 02/28/11 11:55 PM

Power to the mount is being interrupted. You need to check your power supply and power cable. Change them if you can to positively eliminate them as the possible problem. Make sure the hand controller is plugged in all the way too.

Stan

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: CG5 problem new [Re: jeffrey lessing]
      #4418236 - 02/28/11 11:58 PM

Sounds like an intermittent power loss. The prong spreading would be the first thing I'd check, too. What's your power source? AC? DC? If DC be sure the battery has a full charge. Could be the power switch on the mount. Disconnect the power source and work the switch back and forth a few times...gently. Report back.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CG5 problem new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4418491 - 03/01/11 05:52 AM

Quote:

Power to the mount is being interrupted. You need to check your power supply and power cable. Change them if you can to positively eliminate them as the possible problem. Make sure the hand controller is plugged in all the way too.

Stan

But before you check those things, check the power receptacle on the mount. The pin you see is in two halves. Get a jeweler's screwdriver or a knife and spread those halve a little (gently).

jimb1001
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: Florida
Re: CG5 problem new [Re: rmollise]
      #4419083 - 03/01/11 12:53 PM

Go to Radio Shack and, for $6 get a new coiled power cord, one with an integral power switch.
Spread the pins, insert the new power cord, turn the switch on the mount "on".
Plug in the new power cord and switch it on.
Going forward, only use the switch on the new cord.
I had the same problems as you, right out of the box.
No problems at all after replacing the cord.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: CG5 problem new [Re: jimb1001]
      #4419148 - 03/01/11 01:20 PM

I use these on all my mounts...8'long, coiled, fused, has an ON/OFF switch with LED power indicator, and has a 90° connector on the mount end.

Stan

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889594&filterName=Price&filterValue=$10.00+-+$14.99

mprowland

Reged: 05/11/10

Loc: Michigan
Re: CG5 problem new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4419574 - 03/01/11 04:47 PM

I had the EXACT same problem. This is definitely a power cord problem. I called Celestron and they sent me a new cord. Apparently the cord that has one jacket with two conductors inside is bad. They sent me the newer one where each conductor is in it's own jacket side by side. (This has nothing to do with the issue, it's just a way to tell the two types apart.)

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Re: CG5 problem new [Re: mprowland]
      #4425235 - 03/04/11 12:40 AM

It's the DC cord for sure. My brand-new CG-5 worked great with their AC power supply and did exactly what the OP described using the supplied 12V DC cord with both a 12V power pack and my car. Yesterday I went to Radio Shack and got their $12.99 adapter 270-048 and size 'M' tip. Connect it for Center Positive. Works perfectly.

I measured the problem cord with an Ohmmeter and read 5 and 6 Ohms (!) on the positive and negative leads. No wonder it didn't work. The new adapter measures a small fraction of an Ohm, as it should be.

By the way, the adapter price includes one tip. I didn't realize that until I got home yesterday and had to go back for a refund.

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 974

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics