Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: What does HyperTunes mount mean? new [Re: dkb]
      #4415434 - 02/27/11 05:41 PM

Quote:

Sorry but I've also hyper tuned my own cgem and there is a world of difference. Before the ra axis would literally stick at certain positions and was generally difficult to rotate. After I started taking it apart it was quite evident where the two problems were. One was one of the bearings was extremely difficult to turn by hand while all the others turned freely. This was due to too much grease packed in the bearing. The other problem was the actual "brass" gear housing rubbing against the housing at certain locations and sanding that slightly fixed that. The axis now can spin several rotations freely with the clutch disengaged when pushed by hand once. It would be obvious to anyone who saw before and after behavior that a "hyper tune" made a near unusable mount to one better then most new ones.

I don't think this is hypertuning, I would call it "fixing manufacturing problems"

In my opinion definition of hypertuning should be: "improvements of normally functioning mount which are not part of regular maintenance", so the following can qualify as hypertuning:
-replacing worm gears
-polishing/honing working surfaces
-replacing bearings
-replacing gears like warpdrive for lxd75
-replacing grease by a better one

Alex

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vpcirc
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/09/09

Loc: Merced CA
Re: What does HyperTunes mount mean? new [Re: j.w.white]
      #4415474 - 02/27/11 05:54 PM

I recently visited a dealer whom I will not mention out of privacy reasons. They stated to me they end up returning 1 out of every 6 cgems sold. I'm not suggesting that CGEM's are all bad, but their partner factory in China leaves some doubts about quality control. Celestron's pro mounts on the other hand do not suffer these issues. Celestron is not alone. In trying to mass produce a gem on the cheap has caused many problems for several manufacturers. I no longer own my CGEM, but before I had it "hypertuned" by deepspace, it was not suitable for imaging work. (I sold it to save my back in setup). Once the mount was hypertuned, I could image for 15 min with no trails. Before the hypertune, I could get a minute. The pointing accuracy was horrible despite Celestron's superior software to my current mount. I had a choice, spend $300 to get it right, or send it back to Celestron and wait a month and hope it comes back right. I love my Vixen, and I haven't had to do anything to it. After the first star is aligned, every star appears in the FOV of a 12 mm. Unfortunately,despite it's accuracy, the software is lacking and I have to use TheSky, to image many IC's and NGC's that don't appear in the database. It's assembled in Japan rather than China. Now if Vixen would just buy Celestron's software, and Celestron would use Vixen's factory for assembly.......

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: What does HyperTunes mount mean? new [Re: vpcirc]
      #4415555 - 02/27/11 06:27 PM

Sadly Celestron used to use Vixen's factory.. hence the proliferation of Celestron Super Polaris and the like. Guess things got too expensive for them.

vpcirc, I ended up with the CGEM (vs the SXD) because nobody I know can successfully image with a C9.25 on an SXD. Hope I don't get your experience, or a DIY "hypertune" is in my future..

alpal
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Melbourne Australia.
Re: What does HyperTunes mount mean? new [Re: avarakin]
      #4415573 - 02/27/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is an adjustment on the Dec & RA shafts to place
the gears closer together (on an EQ6 mount & probably all mounts)
It is very important to have it right otherwise backlash
problems will stop auto-guiding from working.
That was my case until I had it fixed.
That is a hypertune in my book but you could also put
in good quality bearings & grease.

Al,

What you described is called worm gear mesh adjustment and I don't think this can be called hypertuning. All owners of GEMs should be able to perform this simple mechanical operation because it has to be done periodically and may require several iterations to get it just right.

Alex

Point taken.

vpcirc
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/09/09

Loc: Merced CA
Re: What does HyperTunes mount mean? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #4415727 - 02/27/11 07:41 PM

On the factory tripod I would agree on the 9.25. I am wondering now though since I built a concrete pier that seems to be much more stable. I also switched to guiding with finderscope. They rate that mount at 50lbs, but I think 25 lbs would be the safe limit. I was running a side by side setup with a meade 102 and a meade 80, and didn't have any tracking issues. But I think my total load was 21.5 lbs with cameras.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: What does HyperTunes mount mean? new [Re: rmollise]
      #4418305 - 03/01/11 12:59 AM

Quote:

What it means is that someone has opened up the mount and messed with it. That can occasionally be a good thing, usually something that has no practical effect of anykind, or, unfortunately, sometimes a disaster.

Messing with some of these mounts can be a good thing. I think Uncle Rod's advice in the vein of, "let sleeping dogs lie" when it comes to mounts (or SCT or anything else) is generally good advice so long as you are getting acceptable performance out of the mount (or SCT or whatever else).

My own Atlas was bought used and was of older vintage. Last winter it became stiff in the dec axis and I steeled myself and opened it up. It of course had the melted yak glue in place of grease and there were paint chips and metal shavings mixed in with the grease. I assumed that some of this detritus got there during assembly but some might have been generated as parts that were not machined to specs ground against each other. So I polished the parts, replaced the grease, replaced the worm bearings and tuned the mesh.

Messing with my mount paid of wonderfully. It is easier to balance and my PHD graphs are superb. Maybe this spring when the Great Washington Nebula has evaporated I will post a screenshot.

Besides the state of the mount another thing to consider is your own mechanical aptitude and patience. It is easy to foul up things if you don't go slow. As in thermodynamics, quick actions may be irreversible

Ajay

Edited by bluedandelion (03/01/11 01:01 AM)

alpal
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Melbourne Australia.
Re: What does HyperTunes mount mean? [Re: bluedandelion]
      #4418592 - 03/01/11 07:51 AM

That's good Blue.
With my EQ6 mount I couldn't get PHD to guide it at all until
I had the backlash adjusted by an expert.
The DEC axis line would go right off the graph
& the RA wasn't much better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
31 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4233

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics