Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Rautospoon

Reged: 01/09/11

Loc: WIRRAL. UK.
Giro 3 dovetail query new
      #4396414 - 02/19/11 05:46 AM

I have bought a (second hand) WO Megrez 90 and am about to order a Giro 3 mount from Telescope Services (first class help and assistance as usual !) in Germany. I was going to buy one of these to attach the scope rings to the clamp on the Giro :

http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/vixenDovetail_features.php
but Patrick (at TS) stated :

"The William Optics dovetail plate fits into the saddle plate of the Giro, but it is not a particularly strong connection. The plate is unfortunately a wrong design, which is also why we chose to take it off our shop. In the position where most mounts have the locking screws the dovetail plate isn't sloped at all. Instead that is where it runs perpendicular to the mount. As a result, no matter how hard you try to lock the screw of the saddle plate, it will never be a very firm connection. A regular "all-sloped" dovetail plate offers a much better connection."

Can anyone confirm whether he is correct or not and, if he is, what alternative dovetail I should buy, in order to make the best connection. Would an ADM Vixen wide top dovetail "fit the bill" ?

Some specific and unequivocal advice on this matter, would be very much appreciated, to avoid wasting time and money on the wrong dovetail !

Many thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Lancashire England
Re: Giro 3 dovetail query new [Re: Rautospoon]
      #4397357 - 02/19/11 04:11 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

I had a Giro 3 for the 6" f/10 I built which weighed 35lbs.I used the longer WO plate and had no problems.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Giro 3 dovetail query new [Re: GlenM]
      #4399898 - 02/20/11 05:49 PM

I'm using one of these on my GR3-DX and am very happy with it.

However I notice on the Teleskop Service website that their Giro3 mount has a different clamp on it. My mount, which I bought at APM, came with this clamp (or one that looks just like it) which I believe is much more secure.

Rautospoon

Re: Giro 3 dovetail query new [Re: GlenM]
      #4401082 - 02/21/11 08:29 AM

Thanks !

Rautospoon

Re: Giro 3 dovetail query new [Re: Mark9473]
      #4401112 - 02/21/11 08:56 AM

Quote:

However I notice on the Teleskop Service website that their Giro3 mount has a different clamp on it. My mount, which I bought at APM, came with this clamp (or one that looks just like it) which I believe is much more secure.

Many thanks for this most informative and useful information - much appreciated !

Yes, the (Bernebach BE500610) clamp looks a better and more secure item, will order one of them with the Giro 3, rather than the "standard" clamp.

Think I have found a supplier of the 150mm Deluxe Dovetail in the UK, which is fortunate as APM's (listed) carriage charges appear extortionate !

Regards.

Rautospoon

#4406549 - 02/23/11 05:19 PM

Telescope Services have told me this is the best and most secure clamp of the lot.
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4530.html

Mark9473
Postmaster

#4407671 - 02/24/11 06:07 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

No argument against that information.
I just feel like the Berlebach clamp looks like a better fit in shape and materials to the Giro mount which incidentally is also made by Berlebach.

Rautospoon

Re: Giro 3 dovetail query new [Re: Mark9473]
      #4407727 - 02/24/11 07:36 AM

Quote:

No argument against that information.
I just feel like the Berlebach clamp looks like a better fit in shape and materials to the Giro mount which incidentally is also made by Berlebach.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. The trouble is, like everything in life these days, there is too much darn choice !!
Is Tele-Optic part of Berlebach or vica versa ?
Cheers.

Mark9473
Postmaster

#4407830 - 02/24/11 08:55 AM

I have no idea what the relationship is between those two companies. All I know is that on the mount is says:
"Tele-Optic GR III Mount - made in Germany by Berlebach".
I've interpreted this as Berlebach being the sub-contractor working to Tele-Optic design specs, but don't know this for certain.

Interesting though that Berlebach have now started to market their own (smaller) mount.

Rautospoon

Re: Giro 3 dovetail query [Re: Mark9473]
      #4418755 - 03/01/11 09:45 AM

Quote:

Have now ordered (from Telescope Services) the dovetail and clamp you recommend - thanks for your help - appreciated !

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1076

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics