Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: Losmandy G8 sale, I think this is a red flag new [Re: gillmj24]
      #4410457 - 02/25/11 11:35 AM

Oh if by other site you mean "AM" then at least they had to sign up with hopefully a non-stolen credit card. I would be quicker to label a CN classified as a scam than an AM one as the former is just a free-for-all. It is much rarer over there but it does happen so do be cautious.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asimov
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/11/10

Re: Losmandy G8 sale, I think this is a red flag new [Re: gillmj24]
      #4411523 - 02/25/11 07:56 PM

A resounding 'NO WAY' from me too. I'm all for deals to be done in writing in emails etc. It's then recorded if anything goes wrong, but the little phone call is there to provide assurance that the buyer/seller does actually exist & the deal is not bogus.

Move on to the next deal.

Bachus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Nashville,TN.
Re: Losmandy G8 sale, I think this is a red flag new [Re: Asimov]
      #4413086 - 02/26/11 02:07 PM

So no pics at all? What about the serial number/date? With that amount is involved and the seller whats the sale they should grant the wish. Even when I sale something I offer a picture or two or whatever. It's simple business ethics especially with Astro-gear.

About Paypal, some swear by it and like a few I swear at it. A few years ago my Paypal account and identity was compromised and Paypal didn't have an answer as to how it happened. I had signed up using CC "A" and then later switched to CC "B". Somehow, someone was able to sign up with a ship to address in CA (I'm in Tennessee) with CC "A"and make about $900 in purchases thru E-Bay before the CC Company notified us via a "Red Flag" we put in. Paypal didn't catch it at all.

I've lost a few deals in both buys and sells because of not having Paypal. I offer and accept M.O, checks and cash and feedback is very important to me. I hardly look at E-Bay anymore and mostly buy off Amazon which I haven't had a single issue in three years.

Edited by Bachus (02/26/11 02:09 PM)

Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
Re: Losmandy G8 sale, I think this is a red flag [Re: Bachus]
      #4420647 - 03/02/11 02:58 AM

Wow, I forgot to mark this as a favorIte and I'm amazed at all the replies!,
Well, I got burned by paypal a long time ago for $40. They offered no recourse although they said they did at the time. A phone # does provide verification and comfort especially for an expensive purchase. Someone wanting to sell something, especially with 0 ratings should be prepared to well, communicate!!
I also thought it was overpriced of course and offered less. Well I think it will be there until lowered or the economy starts to ramp up.
Me? I got a beautiful Vixen Sphinx mount used for a great price from a really highly rated fellow over on the other site. I got pictures of the entire packing process, all the documentation, I could want.
Ok, I think this thread could use a little light heartedness so Here's my buying a used mount rant from another post, to another brother with a sexy WO FLT98 CF! The rant could be slightly edited to deal with just about any product category offered for sale in used optics land.

Hi 10k.
I just bought a Vixen Sphinx SXD for my new mount. i was looking around at the Atlas mount. Its real nice, I thought, everyone on CN thinks I should get it, but I thought, I'd like something fancier! Something more classy, since i'm 62 and in a few years, I could be dead of old age or worse alzheimers, I wanted something truly supernova to brighten my twilight years. That I could list below my avatar for all too see!
Hell, I'd make a new avatar with photo booth of moi and my lovely new scope&mount.
I wanted a Losmandy, they are real nice too, but on a pedestal of money that I could never hope to reach. Any cheap one, just evaporates with a sold sticker! That leaves many who thinks they are made of gold and worth used, almost more than new! Then i realized that the manufacturer who no doubt makes a fine piece of gear had the gall to not even provide a power source with it. Well, now i knew why everyone wanted so much $$ for them. Many had long accessorized lists detailing turbo knobs, chrome plated lettering, beefed up this and customized much better that, all stuff that should've come with it originally for all that $$. Gee, it was like reading the bio of a hot rod at a car show. I suddenly remembered the motto of a speed shop where I got v8 parts from. "Speed Costs Money, how fast do you want to go?"
I don't know, but between the gall and the high prices, I started to lose interest and lost hope that I could ever find a deal, you know some poor young astronomer whose unemployment checks just ended and with a new baby on the way. Ok then, maybe a CGEM, but the CGEM is not exactly cheap either, then a touch of some common sense realized its huge and heavy, nope, not4me! I had to have something more PORTABLE.
Then along came a Sphinx SXD at a great, great price. It really got my attention. First thought was, what a fashion plate the combo of our beautiful carbon fibre scope and the gorgeous Sphinx would make. It will also carry my 9.25 plus an entire load of super expensive and heavy gear! Who cares if it works! Hey, I'd be the center of attention at the local star parties, meet girls and maybe get free lattes or a job teaching Astronomy for one of the local public school districts. All I had to do was wave that beautiful StarBook around, ruin everyones night vision, and the foolish ones who were not already grouped admiringly around me and my gear would be forced to come over and paying me $1.25 each to take a look through my big 55mm Tele Vue Plossl with original caps/box/sticker, mind you, attached to the bold looking WO 2" dialetric diag suggestively clamped tight to all that genuine carbon fibre refractor with hot pink, bronze and S/S trim.
Anyway, when the mount arrives next week, i will be sure to provide a new new post with a great BIG BIG 2bigabyte color picture with just a gigantic super-sized view of the newly married couple! I bet it rises to one of those posts that you see with all the flames on it. Man, I want to start a post like that, like one of those Sages. But my flaming post will be stoked by excited noobie amateur astronomers (some of whom could be girls) and older worn ones with carpal tunnel, still dreaming of a glimpse of heaven on earth, all eager to see the splendid new astronomic fashion plate and clap me on the back telling me what an excellent judge of mounted telescope tastey's I am!
These astronomy threadsters will all grovel before the oversized picture of my lovely carbon fibre APO and beautiful hitech mount with the colored candy controller. My small observatory will become an intimate chapel of optical love Love of the stars, technology, carbon fibre, pretty color schemes and tight polar alignments
OK I'm through.........

--------------------
Swarovski SLC10X42 - the best!
ETX 90 -1st view of Saturn, wow!
ETX125PE bye bye buddy!
8" LX10 EMC 1st 8", Gone to Astro Heaven
Nexstar 8, good scope, wanna buy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2836

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics