Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
PHampson
sage

Reged: 10/25/05

Loc: Nashville, TN
Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #4389368 - 02/15/11 11:44 PM

Too bad. You might try contacting Starlight Xpress and see if they have any ideas. It works fine with the SBIG cameras and the webcams I've used so it's probably something in the SX USB implementation.

Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: PHampson]
      #4390044 - 02/16/11 11:00 AM

Peter, Comm 17 ... yikes.

As you may have already guessed there are likely a bunch of applications on your PC that are "holding" a Comm port address. Since it's unlikely that you need 17 different comm port addresses today I would go through your app list and delete any you no longer need or want ... and maybe even de install and reinstall some of the ones you do use regularly to release and re order your comm port assignments.

There is still a lot of code around that "holds" comm ports and that doesn't understand virtual comm ports and high comm port numbers. For a while it was normal to only see comm 1-4, then it became 1-8 or 10, now it's often up to 15 (think hex addressing). Many applications that used serial ports simply never envisioned PCs with large numbers of comm port addresses.

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4390127 - 02/16/11 11:33 AM

If I remember correctly, before I plugged in the USB to Serial adapter, what I saw in Device Manager was COM3, COM4, COM5. I don't remember what these three COM ports were for. COM17 was assigned as soon as I plugged in the adapter into LAN to USB box. That's good but NexRemote just won't work with LAN to USB box. NexRemote won't bring up COM17.

It works great if plugged in the adapter directly to USB port of laptop and COM16 is assigned. NexRemote kindly brought up COM16 and I selected it and I am able to control my CPC0800.

Peter

dkb
sage

Reged: 07/23/08

Loc: Minnesota
      #4391004 - 02/16/11 05:00 PM

There is another option I came across since I am in same boat of wanting to use a USB guidescope but don't want to have a computer outside 200 feet away. icron makes USB extension devices, from using ethernet cable for 330 foot distances to fiber optic cables up to 6.2 miles! The ethernet extender for a 4 port USB 2.0 hub costs $330. USB 1.1 is cheaper. The nice thing about these though is that there are NO drivers or software required. It treats the USB device you have connected 300 feet away the same as though it was 3 feet away plugged into your computer. Cost is justifiable in my book if I don't want to risk having an expensive laptop outside and need to buy a netbook. This way I could have my quad core iMac connected to my equipment 300 feet outside!

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: dkb]
      #4391043 - 02/16/11 05:23 PM

That's a pretty good alternative. Thanks for posting.

Peter

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

#4391471 - 02/16/11 08:38 PM

Better check if it has a good return policy. USB is known to be not that universal.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

DavidD
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/23/09

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #4391607 - 02/16/11 10:06 PM

I don't recall the specifics, but by going through the device manager, you can reassign the COM port used, to anything that is open.

Also, if the device is not being detected, (if you haven't already done so) plug it into the computer directly, first, to get the drivers loaded.

Hope this helps. I'm posting this more from my computer background than from my telescope equipment experience.

David

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: DavidD]
      #4391652 - 02/16/11 10:40 PM

The drivers were already loaded when the camera was first connected directly to USB port of laptop. I have been using the camera connected directly to the laptop for over a year and has been working great. Then after the camera was connected to the "box", the laptop never detected the camera.

Peter

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
      #4391737 - 02/16/11 11:38 PM

I use an ICRON Ranger unit to connect over Cat5 to my backyard observatory. I've been able to run PHD to my DSIpro guide camera via a GPUSB unit to the mount guide port, Starry Night Pro via ASCOM to my Mach1GTO mount serial port via a USB-Serial adapter as well as a separate mount port control via APs PulseGuide, my JMI focuser via the ASCOM driver, and my QHY8. Everyting is connected either directly to the ICRON Ranger 4-port USB2 hub or to a separate powered hub connected into the Ranger unit. Everything can be controlled and run simultaneously. I expect to add a FW in the near future via a separate ASCOM interface, and given how flawlessly everything has worked with this unit, I don't expect any problems.
...Keith

dkb
sage

Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: microstar]
      #4392596 - 02/17/11 01:21 PM

Quote:

I use an ICRON Ranger unit to connect over Cat5 to my backyard observatory. I've been able to run PHD to my DSIpro guide camera via a GPUSB unit to the mount guide port, Starry Night Pro via ASCOM to my Mach1GTO mount serial port via a USB-Serial adapter as well as a separate mount port control via APs PulseGuide, my JMI focuser via the ASCOM driver, and my QHY8. Everyting is connected either directly to the ICRON Ranger 4-port USB2 hub or to a separate powered hub connected into the Ranger unit. Everything can be controlled and run simultaneously. I expect to add a FW in the near future via a separate ASCOM interface, and given how flawlessly everything has worked with this unit, I don't expect any problems.
...Keith

Keith, thanks for the informative post! That settles it for me at least! The icron device seems like a much better solution then trying to get some proprietary drivers working on an OS. I'd also worry about future compatibility issues with those drivers on future OS updates.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #4394079 - 02/18/11 01:57 AM

dkb, please do let us know how it works out for you.

dkb
sage

Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: frolinmod]
      #4401690 - 02/21/11 02:11 PM

Keith,
If you have the time I think it would be very valuable to do a review on the icron Ranger unit and your setup and submit it to Cloudy Nights as a Review to be displayed on the main page. There are I think a lot of people in similar position that have no ideas this solution exists.

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
      #4402383 - 02/21/11 07:38 PM

Quote:

Keith,
If you have the time I think it would be very valuable to do a review on the icron Ranger unit and your setup and submit it to Cloudy Nights as a Review to be displayed on the main page. There are I think a lot of people in similar position that have no ideas this solution exists.

Interesting suggestion. The key here is "if you have the time". I'll see what I can do, but it might be a few months before I can get to it. Good idea though.
...Keith

dkb
sage

Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: microstar]
      #4418896 - 03/01/11 11:19 AM

There is an Icron Ranger 2104 USB extender up on AstroMart now for those interested in using that. I'm probably going to hold off for now.

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: tulit]
      #4420356 - 03/01/11 10:48 PM

Jerry,

Could you please elaborate what kind of problem you had with remote controlling your laptop? I always shoot while controlling my netbook over TightVNC and so far it works really well.

Alex

Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
      #4420467 - 03/01/11 11:52 PM

Quote:

There is an Icron Ranger 2104 USB extender up on AstroMart now for those interested in using that. I'm probably going to hold off for now.

I have one, and it works perfectly. One thing I like is that it's a powered USB hub

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity new [Re: Rusty]
      #4420585 - 03/02/11 01:40 AM

Cool device and the price is right... except for trying to pump 4x480mbs over 100mbs. I can just imagine trying to get that thing to work with XP64 though. I'll consider myself defeated before beginning.

Gargoyle
sage

Reged: 03/13/08

Loc: Long Island, New York
Re: Ethernet to USB Connectivity [Re: avarakin]
      #4421535 - 03/02/11 01:41 PM

Alex,

I had two problems with using my laptop as a local device. First was the overall response-refresh time which was poor, actually unusable to be frank. For example I used Nebulosity to focus the SBIG due to its quick response to focus changes and refresh rate at the remote PC was about once every 10 seconds (unusable). Second was that the local laptop would lock up when running The Sky X, CCDSoft and remote Desktop. When I ran the laptop with the Sky X and CCDSoft at the scope, it never froze.

Another differentiating factor was that I was running MS Remote Desktop not TightVNC, and so I cannot comment about whether its performance would be better, worse, etc.. Nevertheless, I have heard good things about it.

Jerry

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3175

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics