Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Ohio
Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison?
      #4423249 - 03/03/11 08:34 AM

I'm looking for a sturdy mount for AP. The scopes I will use will all weigh less than 15 lbs. (Genesis, AT6RC, and Orion 4.5 astro)
I know the CG5 is computerized but I do not need the computer. I will need the availability of a clock drive.
I see some of these with no tripod . How hard will it be to find a tripod for the Super Polaris and other older mounts?
Any other ideas? Thanks; Don T.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: Don Trinko]
      #4423457 - 03/03/11 10:14 AM

First, you did not say how much less than 15LBs, and depending on the mount, this could be important.

The Super Polaris is a very nice mount, but they were often shipped on the AL 110 tripod. This isn' the beefiest tripod on the planet. Fine for visual use, but I don't think you will get a great deal of stability from it for imaging.

The OLDER CG4 likewise had a shakey aluminum tripod. I would say that this tripod would not be sufficient for imaging with the Genesis.

The NEWER ones use a steel tube leg tripod, and that would be a better choice, but the CG4 head is probaly not as good as the Vixen SP head, so you trade one evil for another.

The newer Go-to CG5s with big steel legs I think are your best choice. Even if you don't "Need" the computer, you still need to power the mount (Some of the SPs would run off of a 9 Vdc battery!) but for LESS than these other mounts will cost when you put a decent tripod and motor drive on them, you can get a COMPLETE CG5 Go-To.

If you don't want to use it in Go-To mode, you don't have to, but you will still need some power source.

As for finding tripods for these older mounts, it is easy to do. They all basically use the same tripod.

Again, you will pay dearly for a heavy duty tripod, so again, I think you will come out ahead going for the CG5 with Go-to.

Edited by Eddgie (03/03/11 10:57 AM)

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #4423537 - 03/03/11 10:58 AM

I editied the previous post. I should have said the older CG4 aluminum tripod would NOT be suitable for imaging in my opinion.

I regret the omission of the "NOT" in the sentence.

Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #4423540 - 03/03/11 10:59 AM

The Genesis weighs 12 lbs but with camera it would be near 15 lbs, Same for the AT6RC, The 4.5" Orion would be abought 8 lbs with extras. I wanted a mount that could handle 15 lbs because it would hold any scope that I might use.
If I bought a CG4 it would be a new one. I can get a new CG4 and clock drive at the moment for abought $350 including shipping.
I do have a 8SE so I am familiar with the Celestron system.
I have seen Super Polaris used for $175 without tripod and drive. I did see a new CG5 for $500 but it is gone and most of the time I see them for $600 to %650.
Thanks; Don T.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #4423625 - 03/03/11 11:36 AM

I've had all three, albeit, for visual only. Without doubt, the CG-5 is your ONLY choice here. Your imaging...remember half the load capacity as a rule of thumb...the CG5 with 2" steel legs puts you comfortably there. I had the Genesis on the SP too...still go with CG5. A NEW one runs about $575...you will be close to that with an older, used SP on mount with motors. Plus I think that the CG5 motors are better,smoother and more accurate.

Edited by t.r. (03/03/11 11:38 AM)

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: t.r.]
      #4424208 - 03/03/11 03:59 PM

Considering the long focal length of the AT6RC I would say that you will want a mount that can be auto-guided. Once you consider that the CG-5 ASGT is the only easily auto-guided one of the three you listed. The Skywatcher EQ5 is mechanically the same as the CG-5 just with different goto controller and motors so it is another alternative.

The Super Polaris has a good reputation for build quality but as already said by the time you get a drive (and tripod) your price is going to be high, and for an auto-guide capable drive system....

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: Falcon-]
      #4424754 - 03/03/11 08:25 PM

I have a CG4 that I use for my TV 85 and it is a decent mount but it is not in the same league as a Super Polaris I owned several years back. It seems strong and is steady enough but it suffers from a little sticktion in the RA axis and a little play in the Dec. axis. Not bad enough to affect its serviceability. The CG4 as far as I am concerned is a clone of the old Vixen Polaris rather than the later Super Polaris. The single axis RA drive from Orion for their Astroview fits and works perfectly with the CG4 by the way. I can't tell you a thing about the CG5 because I have never owned or used one.

kauzuak

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Burleson, TX
Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: Nippon]
      #4426125 - 03/04/11 03:24 PM

Just a thought, how about an Orion SVP with the GOTO drives. It combines traits of all three: most SP like clone (has usable setting circles), tad ligther than CG5 but still has steel tripod and the GOTO system is guider friednly and you can use EQMOD/Mosiac for lots of control options and benefits. I can't comment on the tracking accuracy though.

Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: kauzuak]
      #4426183 - 03/04/11 04:05 PM

Thanks for all the information. I'm going to use my TV EQ for now.(clock drive but no computer) My TV EQ was stiff. I was afraid I would burn out the clock drive but I solved that problem.
I'm putting my toes in the water of Astro-photography. If I get into it serious I may need to upgrade. Thanks; Don t.

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
      #4427538 - 03/05/11 09:49 AM

Don,

Couple more options:
1. Meade sells refurbed LXD75 for $475
2. Used LXD75 and CG5 are regularly popping up in S&S for around $300-350

What kind of clock drive your mount has? Is it batter powered? If yes, then it could be modded for autoguiding, like described here:
http://intervalometer.appspot.com/BudgetAPfor1000.jsp

Alex

Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: avarakin]
      #4427716 - 03/05/11 11:12 AM

It is a battery operated clock drive with a stepping motor.
It is made by Carton. I do not have a schematic. It does have slow and fast, fwd and rev buttons. Don T.

Jerry Hyman
sage

Reged: 03/29/07

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
      #4427885 - 03/05/11 12:32 PM

I have owned and really like the Super Polaris, but agree that when you do make the move the CG5 would be better. One other item: If you get the Super Polaris you will most likely need to get an adapter for around $100 or better that will allow you to use the common Vixen Dovetail on most scopes. The saddle on the SP does not accept those just rings.

~jerry

Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super polaris/ CG4/ CG5 comparison? new [Re: Jerry Hyman]
      #4427915 - 03/05/11 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone; Lots of good information. Don T.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1024

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics