Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
brianz

Reged: 08/09/10

Loc: Atlanta
CGEM Power Supply failure new
      #4420330 - 03/01/11 10:36 PM

Tonight I had all kinds of power problems with my CGEM mount, mainly spontaneous power cycling and flickering. I eventually realized that the power was sensitive to the position of the cord that exits the 12V power supply rectangle which plugs into my outdoor AC outlet. The defect seems to be where the rectangle thing meet with the base of the cord that goes toward the mount (as opposed to the other side going to the AC outlet).

Has anybody else had this problem? What's the best mode of thinking - Celestron replacement, 3rd party version, or ?? I'm glad it's not a problem with the mount itself, but it's still annoying...

Thanks,
Brian

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brianz

Re: CGEM Power Supply failure new [Re: brianz]
      #4421083 - 03/02/11 09:56 AM

This is the one that failed:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=401

but I'm wondering if the higher amperage and still compatible adapter below would be better?
http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=660

Any thoughts? I can also call Celestron, just wondering if there were any experiences here.

Trev
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/18/05

Loc: Fort McMurray, AB
      #4421141 - 03/02/11 10:20 AM

I've had nothing but problems with Celestron's power supplies in the past. I just use 12v cables now which you can usually pick up a Radio Shack for around 10.00 and haven't had a problem since.
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=DC+AdaptorsandPlugs&product=2701594

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #4421150 - 03/02/11 10:23 AM

Quote:

This is the one that failed:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=401

but I'm wondering if the higher amperage and still compatible adapter below would be better?
http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=660

Any thoughts? I can also call Celestron, just wondering if there were any experiences here.

Personally, I'd recommend the Pyramid PS9KX 5A/7A Power Supply. It will be the last power supply you're likely to need.

jbattleson
Happily Retired

Reged: 03/02/09

Loc: Nebraska
      #4421285 - 03/02/11 11:38 AM

The higher amp Celestron has one advantage. The plug going to the scope has a threaded nut to hold it in.
That's not to say it can't be added to any power supply.
I have had good luck with Celestron supplies but there lots of folks that have had problems.
I have also used Radio Shack supplies (12V) for my ham radios without any problems. You will have to cut the 12V cord and plug off your existing supply and put it on the Radio Shack supply.

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: CGEM Power Supply failure new [Re: DaveJ]
      #4421612 - 03/02/11 02:26 PM

Thanks DaveJ that is a better price than the Pyramid I bought last year. I needed second one so, I just ordered it.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: CGEM Power Supply failure new [Re: mistyridge]
      #4421784 - 03/02/11 03:55 PM

Brian,

From your description it's likely that either the insulation on the cable within the strain relief has cracked and you're getting a short ... or the cable itself is actually broken and flexing it is likely causing the intermittent connection. Since you paid for the Celestron AC-12v power supply I'd get them to replace it. It's always good to have a second power source for the price of shipping it back to Celestron.

Less expensive power supplies often use wires with cheaper more brittle insulation ... I've recently had this problem on a couple of wall wart style power supplies.

I'll third the recommendation of the Pyramid power supply, I've used a pair of these for all my 12v needs over the past 5 years without a hiccup. I also built a short heavy gauge cable for powering the scope that's been absolutely bullet proof.

jbattleson
Happily Retired

Reged: 03/02/09

Loc: Nebraska
Re: CGEM Power Supply failure new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4421977 - 03/02/11 05:33 PM

Brian has a good point about the short in the cord.
Most switching power supplies have current limiting built in so the supply may be undamaged. Just needs a new cord.
If its not replaceable by Celestron it may be easy to repair.

brianz

Re: CGEM Power Supply failure new [Re: jbattleson]
      #4422023 - 03/02/11 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the input. I decided for now that the hassle with Celestron isn't worth the time, so I sprung for the new 5 amp switching power supply made for CGEM and CGE Pro. At some point maybe I'll try the Pyramid although that looks like the kind of thing that would confuse (or electrocute) me.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#4422221 - 03/02/11 07:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the input. I decided for now that the hassle with Celestron isn't worth the time, so I sprung for the new 5 amp switching power supply made for CGEM and CGE Pro. At some point maybe I'll try the Pyramid although that looks like the kind of thing that would confuse (or electrocute) me.

Brian, that's pretty funny.

I understand your concerns and I think your plan makes sense. As for the Pyramid, don't worry about those binding posts on the front of the power supply. It's only that big cigarette lighter style connector you have to be concerned about. You treat the Pyramid as if it's a 12v Powertank/battery. You use the regular Celestron (or other) DC power cable ... simple and straight forward.

In the mean time I would still get an RA number from Celestron and return the bad supply ... it can't hurt.

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
Re: CGEM Power Supply failure new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4424646 - 03/03/11 07:39 PM

With regards to the pyramid. It just looks like a modified computer PSU. Does it get power the same way with standard AC power? I really fail to see the advantage to having 1 or 2 of these. Especially if its a dewy night.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: CGEM Power Supply failure new [Re: Magellan]
      #4425767 - 03/04/11 12:43 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

The Pyramid's discussed here are not modified PSUs. They are good regulated linear design power supplies (less efficient but less costly than switchers) with overheat and over voltage protection circuitry. The design has been used for years wherever reliable DC voltage is required (HAM radio, etc.). Nothing very elegant, just cost effective and almost bullet proof if you don't abuse them.

You don't want to get them wet from dew or anything else, and the reason for two is the ability to buy only what I needed at the time and then to have some redundancy in the event of a failure. It's always good to have two separate power sources when you're troubleshooting power problems.

They put out 13.8v (typical for 12v battery replacement power supplies). My two power a CGE, LCD monitor, Mallincam, dew strips (for 11 and 6" otas) and some other bits and pieces.

Here are my pair in their usual position under the telescope in the battery tray of my Scopebuggy.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: CGEM Power Supply failure [Re: mclewis1]
      #4426071 - 03/04/11 02:48 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Hey Happy Birthday Mark!
I picked up the Pyramid PS-15KX a while ago and I have been very happy with its performance. It is a well crafted heavy duty power supply that will more than meet my needs when I am imaging at home and I know I trust it more to deliver clean power than the wall wart kind that I had before for my mount.

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1429

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics