Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Paul G. Abel
sage

Reged: 01/28/10

Loc: UK
Mammoth Saturn Session!
      #4435724 - 03/08/11 07:01 PM

Greetings all!

I had a very good Saturn session last night! I managed to get three drawings, all of which shows the two bright spots in the north. The last drawing was made with a 80A filter and shows the spots a little better.

Regards,
-Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: Paul G. Abel]
      #4436144 - 03/08/11 09:33 PM

Mammoth sketches!

starquake
sage

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Nádasdladány
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: Asbytec]
      #4436735 - 03/09/11 05:24 AM

great sketches, you've seen plenty of details, your mirror must be really close to perfect.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: starquake]
      #4436751 - 03/09/11 05:48 AM

Paul,

Beautiful and very accurate observations of the ringed planet. You have recorded the NTrZ spots very nicely as these represent the remnants of the Dragon Storm. The spots appear enhanced while using a light blue (Wratten 80A) filter which implies a higher altitude in the Saturnian atmosphere. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: York, England
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #4436869 - 03/09/11 08:01 AM

Paul

These are some of the nicest Saturn drawings I have seen you produce, I like them very much.

how 'obvious' were those spots visually?
I have not observed Saturn for some months now and when I last looked the storm seemed to be pretty uniformly white to me. I know you did not manage to observe it back in mid-winter when it was new, but do you think it is more lumpy looking now?

Paul G. Abel
sage

Reged: 01/28/10

Loc: UK
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #4437772 - 03/09/11 03:27 PM

Thanks Chris

The observation was made with only average seeing, and although they were there, I would have to say they were not striking (to me). This may well be due to the seeing however. I agree they were white in colour, but there was a metallic greenish hue present in the NTropZ and the NTZ.

Structure wise, it was hard to be certain but they looked irregular to me, and were surrounded by a ring of darker material that seemed to come from the NEB. Actually Chris, as we're both visual observers, i suggest we compare observations through the apparition!

They were certainly enhanced by the Wratten #80A filter! This suggests to me (as Carlos has said) that they are an upper atmosphere phenomena.

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: York, England
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: Paul G. Abel]
      #4438061 - 03/09/11 06:01 PM

Paul

I was going to observe saturn on Monday night but I left my telescope out for several hours after observing Jupiter, and it totally frosted up, even the primary mirror. I couldn't be bothered battling with it so I went to bed!
Hopefully the storm will remain for long enough for us to make some comparisons, that would be useful and enjoyable.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #4438472 - 03/09/11 08:41 PM

Paul,

A very fine series of sketches showing all the interesting activities in the upper atmosphere of Saturn.
Thanks for sharing.

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: frank5817]
      #4439952 - 03/10/11 01:34 PM

Paul, I had good seeing tonight and caught a glimpse of some uneven-ness in the storm, too. Your sketch inspired me to look again more closely. Can't say there was any definite spots, just some hints of uneven contrast. Didn't try the W82A.

Observing time was about 11/1700UT. I can't do the ephemeris in my head, but curious to know if it was the same part of the storm you sketched. As a wag, the ephemeris sounds about right to have placed that part of the storm within view.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: Asbytec]
      #4441118 - 03/10/11 09:51 PM

Paul,

A fine set of observational sketches--very well done! The best view I got of the NTrZ storm was also with the W80A filter.

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Mammoth Saturn Session! new [Re: Special Ed]
      #4441421 - 03/11/11 12:15 AM

great observation and sketch of Saturn and the storm a lot of very fine detail which is hard to get on such a low contrast atmosphere bravo.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1091

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics