Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
Re: M82 / Arp337 new [Re: hbanich]
      #4419045 - 03/01/11 12:35 PM

A great sketch although I'm not a very big fan of the "blur"-tool used on the inner detail. I'm sure the unedited sketch would look even better.

/Jake

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: M82 / Arp337 new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #4419159 - 03/01/11 01:25 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Quote:

A great sketch although I'm not a very big fan of the "blur"-tool used on the inner detail. I'm sure the unedited sketch would look even better.

/Jake

I agree about the blur tool, but I couldn't get the effect I wanted with my pencil and eraser mostly because these areas were too small for the texture of the paper. Next time I'll have to make a larger sketch so I can render these areas better.

Here's the raw sketch:

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: M82 / Arp337 new [Re: hbanich]
      #4419493 - 03/01/11 04:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

/Jake

I agree about the blur tool, but I couldn't get the effect I wanted with my pencil and eraser mostly because these areas were too small for the texture of the paper. Next time I'll have to make a larger sketch so I can render these areas better.

Here's the raw sketch:

Howard

Yes, larger artwork can render some amazing details. I started with a scrap of black pastel paper one night in October 2006 after seeing Erika Rix's solar Conte crayon sketch. I dug up that scrap paper in the house, and little did I know that it would remain in NASA's Spaceweather for three days on their front page- It was only an 11 X 14" work in abstract colors, then later to soon find that 20" X 30" sheets of black pastel paper might seem unwielding at first but if you have an observing table set up there is easily space for this, so when you are done you have a museum sized quality art work. I know chalk seems messy to some but it can easily be quite cleanly handled with a little practice. I only keep a damp cloth or paper towel nearby to wipe the chalk dust from my hands occasionally or I stop and go to a sink to wash up if available at home near the yard. It is not really getting onto anything but the paper and a little on the hands. Contrary to what some may think, it doesn't blow around or get onto the telescope mirror at all. Then some will use pastel pencils that are more like colored pencils as i do to rough in the lines at the beginning. There is little if no chalk mess at all with the pencils. They are just not as vibrant looking as the real chalk sticks if even only in white shades for DSO's and the moon.

I'll make a tutorial film soon and release it here in a link.

Mark

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: M82 / Arp337 new [Re: markseibold]
      #4420599 - 03/02/11 01:50 AM

Howard,

An outstanding observation of M82 using your impressive 28-inch reflector. You have captured the dark, central bar and "exploding" extensions very nicely. The view of this popular irregular galaxy through your large instrument must be very impressive. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

starquake
sage

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Nádasdladány
Re: M82 / Arp337 [Re: CarlosEH]
      #4436730 - 03/09/11 05:14 AM

OMG, just can't believe the details you can get with that 28".

I have a 12" now, but designed my dome to accept a larger scope later, when I get old, my pupil gets small, but I'll be rich (hopefully).

First I wanted a 20" f/5, then I was optimistic to change my plans for a 24" f/4, but now it seems my dome is undersized I'm afraid.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2962

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics