Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
retina boy
sage

Reged: 11/20/06

Loc: Bryan, Texas
Granite Gap
      #4446586 - 03/13/11 12:02 PM

I would like to know if any members are participating/building observatories in the Granite Gap development in New Mexico. Not living close to there, it has been hard to get information as to progress etc. It would be great to also talk to other participants for ideas etc.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tedbnh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Granite Gap new [Re: retina boy]
      #4446972 - 03/13/11 02:48 PM

Hi Derek, my wife and I just returned from 3 days visiting Gene and Loy at Granite Gap, and have bought in. I'm taking the observatory design process slowly, trying to learn from experts and decide my priorities (currently visual only, but friends who visit may/will want to do AP). Maybe I will someday too. Lots to think about before giving anybody the go-ahead to pour concrete. I'm planning to review this forum in depth over the next month because I learn more from CN than anyplace else.

There were about six observatories under construction, several close to complete. The progress for the rest of the GG site (park model cabins, RV sites, museum) is still going slow. So far, every obs. design is ROR. Still just two park models on site, but guys were building decks on them when I was there. Still no completed power hookup, backhoe was still trenching to the site during our stay.

I still have no idea how I'm going to arrange time / transportation out there as frequently as I'd like to, since we live in New Hampshire. But I'm convinced it will be great and can't wait to get back. I will probably stop by in August on my way to Ca. for a business trip.

I can send you a link to some pics if you want. Send me a PM.

Ted

mkk

Reged: 09/12/10

Loc: Noblesville, IN
Re: Granite Gap new [Re: tedbnh]
      #4450597 - 03/15/11 12:28 AM

Hey, Derek, my wife and I have bought an RV lot at Granite Gap and are planning our first visit in our motorhome this June. The RV lease comes with an observatory site, but we are not making plans for it yet. We plan to use our scopes on the RV lot, but we will check out the observatory options while there.

Gene and Loy are very helpful, but they are obviously busy. After reading Ted's note, I hope a few RV sites with hook ups will be done by June.

I think GG will be a great place.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Granite Gap new [Re: mkk]
      #4450725 - 03/15/11 02:03 AM

From reading the web page it says 6 months out of the year. Are there any year round options?

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Granite Gap new [Re: Mary B]
      #4451403 - 03/15/11 12:08 PM

Quote:

From reading the web page it says 6 months out of the year. Are there any year round options?

I wonder if you bought two lots, could you then rotate and stay all year??

retina boy
sage

Re: Granite Gap new [Re: mkk]
      #4453285 - 03/16/11 09:51 AM

Hi Mark

I agree its going to be a nice place. It is by far the most affordable way of getting into a dark sky spot that I have found.

I am in the process of setting up a Yahoo group for GG so that information can be distributed among members more easily/quickly. I will let you know when it is up and running.

For those with questions about lease terms etc, would direct them to Gene. Being only a customer and not the vendor, I do not feel qualified to engage in that discussion.

jmasin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)
      #4453614 - 03/16/11 12:26 PM

Wow I didnt' know about this even!!

I'm seriously thinking of buying in!

I'd probably just go RV pad, but heck, $2500 to reserve a pad for life that i could visit a few times a year? DONE!

mkk

Reged: 09/12/10

Loc: Noblesville, IN
Re: Granite Gap new [Re: jmasin]
      #4454588 - 03/16/11 08:51 PM

Derek,
A Yahoo group for Granite Gap would be nice, so keep us posted on that. As more become aware of GG, the group would be useful.

We are looking forward to going this summer and using our RV site. Its a long haul from the Indianapolis area, but part of the vacation fun is getting there. Driving to dark skies beats working.

Alan S
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/07

Re: Granite Gap new [Re: tedbnh]
      #4454595 - 03/16/11 08:58 PM

I am interested in this...I live not too far (Tucson) and routinely camp and observe during the new moons from nearby Portal, AZ.

I am wondering what the light dome from nearby Lordsburg, NM was like? I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that it would be on the northeastern horizon?

I have visited the area, but only during the day...need to try it at night...

retina boy
sage

Re: Granite Gap new [Re: Alan S]
      #4454619 - 03/16/11 09:11 PM

I too would be interested to see what the light pollution is like having not yet been to the site.

jmasin
Carpal Tunnel

#4454676 - 03/16/11 09:47 PM

The light pollution overlay in Google Earth shows the site is black (i.e. no notable pollution). The light dome doesn't extend into the area. I have not been there, just relaying the overlay info.

I'm curious on the security in the area. With observatories there could be $100,000s of equipment in a pretty small area...

Edited by jmasin (03/16/11 09:49 PM)

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

#4454680 - 03/16/11 09:49 PM

Quote:

I too would be interested to see what the light pollution is like having not yet been to the site.

According to a couple of the editors from Astronomy magazine, the skies at GG are "world class", whatever that means. I take that to mean very good.

retina boy
sage

#4456735 - 03/17/11 08:55 PM

There is always a concern with security in remote observatory settings. Gene has told us that there will be someone living one site at all times. That should help significantly. If the popularity of the development increases to the point where that are always visitors present, then security should be better than most remote observatories. That is not to say that you are really safe esp from a determined knowledgeable thief.

jmasin
Carpal Tunnel

#4457580 - 03/18/11 10:49 AM

Quote:

There is always a concern with security in remote observatory settings. Gene has told us that there will be someone living one site at all times. That should help significantly. If the popularity of the development increases to the point where that are always visitors present, then security should be better than most remote observatories. That is not to say that you are really safe esp from a determined knowledgeable thief.

Understood for sure. You can never avoid all issues, I was just curious on the overall approach.

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

#4457808 - 03/18/11 12:34 PM

wow, even after you factor in your travel expenses to get there throughout the year - its still a heck of a great buy. Very interesting

retina boy
sage

Re: Granite Gap new [Re: faltered]
      #4459437 - 03/19/11 08:34 AM

I agree it is a heck of an opportunity. That why I jumped in. It was cheaper to buy in to GG and factor in travel expenses than to purchase local property.

retina boy
sage

#4459440 - 03/19/11 08:37 AM

I think it is something that should really be discussed/thought about. With the investment we put into these observatories, security is a big issue.

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

#4464792 - 03/21/11 06:20 PM

I wish i could get a team of people to go in on it. members of our local club. Shoot, get enough people and it could cost you 500-600 a person. For a lifetime!

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Granite Gap new [Re: DeanS]
      #4468067 - 03/23/11 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if you bought two lots, could you then rotate and stay all year??

You can purchase a double lease on a lot - that's what I did. This gives you full year use of it. Unfortunately, it'll be another few years until the motor home is purchased and we'll be able to use it.

Phil

retina boy
sage

Re: Granite Gap new [Re: Phil Sherman]
      #4469610 - 03/23/11 08:44 PM

I think I will feel darn lucky if the 6 month occupancy limit becomes a problem

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6219

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics