Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Illinois
Anyone use Orion Skyview Pro Go-To Mount?
      #4449881 - 03/14/11 06:54 PM

I have two telescope tubes I really like - AT102ED refractor and an older orange tube C8. I have toyed w/ buying an Orion Skyview Go-To mount to use with them. Any owners out there who have opinions about the mount and how well/poorly it performs?
Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kwmartin

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Maryland, Anne Arundel County
Re: Anyone use Orion Skyview Pro Go-To Mount? new [Re: Ouranos]
      #4460979 - 03/19/11 11:30 PM

I'm an absolute newbie as I just tried out my Skyview Pro 120 Non-goto for the first time yesterday and have been in the hobby only 3 months. The stand appears very solid and stable with the 120 f8.3 1000 focal length. Only negatives I can see about the stands is the plastic material used on the knobs, and that a dust cap covering the hole where polar scope attaches pops off quite easily. A knob was broken on one of the counter-weights on arrival. I like the mount otherwise and am very pleased.
If you get it, I'd like to hear your impressions about the goto system since I may upgrade (if I can find $500 without a purpose).

Terrance
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/04

Loc: Near Portland Or.
Re: Anyone use Orion Skyview Pro Go-To Mount? new [Re: kwmartin]
      #4462192 - 03/20/11 03:07 PM

Well, I hesitate to post this, but 2 years ago a dealer who has since gone out of business, ordered the "goto" kit for a non goto version of Sky View Pro (SVP) mount and could not get it to work properly. That doesn't mean the goto versions of the SVP, would not work, but you are wise to await some post on actual experience with the goto version before buying.

If there were major problems they probably would have been posted, but caution should prevail.

Also when the goto SVP mount 1st came out, I emailed Orion and asked if the the goto system came already installed on the mount, and their response then was that some installation was required, which scared me off.

If I order a Goto mount I want an installed product, not a major do it yourself project!

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Re: Anyone use Orion Skyview Pro Go-To Mount? new [Re: kwmartin]
      #4467654 - 03/23/11 12:20 AM

Not to hijack, but I just wanted to tell you that others who own this mount sometimes replace the press-fit plastic slow motion knobs with nicer, metal ones. One person though, some time back on another thread, mentioned that he preferred to stick with the plastic knobs for more comfortable wintertime use. When one of the original press-fit plastic slow motion knobs fell off my SVP, I replaced both with set-screw plastic knobs, which are pretty nice, in my estimation.

As for the broken counterweight knob, if it happened in shipping from Orion, they'll probably replace it.

Quote:

I'm an absolute newbie as I just tried out my Skyview Pro 120 Non-goto for the first time yesterday and have been in the hobby only 3 months. The stand appears very solid and stable with the 120 f8.3 1000 focal length. Only negatives I can see about the stands is the plastic material used on the knobs, and that a dust cap covering the hole where polar scope attaches pops off quite easily. A knob was broken on one of the counter-weights on arrival. I like the mount otherwise and am very pleased.
If you get it, I'd like to hear your impressions about the goto system since I may upgrade (if I can find $500 without a purpose).

B. Hebert

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: Southern California
Re: Anyone use Orion Skyview Pro Go-To Mount? new [Re: Ouranos]
      #4470179 - 03/24/11 02:34 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

I have had my SVP mount for a few years and I like it, but I would not recommend it for anything larger than an 80 mm for astrophotography. Visually it handles my 8" Newtonian fine.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1033

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics