Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: Question About the Celestron ASGT-5 new [Re: CarolG]
      #4282205 - 12/31/10 10:37 AM

I haven't had any problems in the 20's with my CG5-ASGT.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#4282291 - 12/31/10 11:24 AM

Quote:

Well, I took the plunge and ordered an open box ASGT5 from OPT yesterday. Since it was an open box item and OPT is offering free shipping, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I also Contacted Anthony at ADM, and he has developed a new Vixen/Losmandy mounting system for the ASGT5. It isn't on his web site yet, but he said he had them available. Can't wait to try them both!

I do have a question. I've read so much about the grease in these mounts not liking cold weather. Do you all think I should just go ahead and put in new grease? I have several tubes of Super Lube lying around. What do you think I should do? The temps around here lately have been getting down into the +20's F. Will those temps affect the factory installed grease?

No. Leave it alone.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Question About the Celestron ASGT-5 new [Re: rmollise]
      #4282314 - 12/31/10 11:34 AM

I've used mine in the '20s with no problems.

I wouldn't start messing with it until your warranty expires.

CarolG
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Question About the Celestron ASGT-5 new [Re: rdandrea]
      #4308459 - 01/11/11 11:18 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Well, I finally got my new CG5 yesterday. I've never had or used a GEM mount, so I've been busy setting it up and learning about it. One of the first things I did was change the factory V style saddle plate. I contacted Anthony Davoli at ADM to see what he recommended and he said he had developed a new adapter. I ordered the one with the dual saddle. It was so easy to install and is rock solid. The workmanship is superb, as I'm sure all ADM products are. You can see what I installed by looking at this ADM link . If I ever have something on a V style dovetail, I'm good to go.

Mr. Davoli told me he is also interested in keeping a growing list of all possible mounts that use the same type of saddle.

Here's a picture of what it looks like installed with telescope attached.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #4309009 - 01/12/11 09:10 AM

Very nice ... thanks for the link Carol.

Another "must have" ADM product for me ... sigh. I wonder if I can just name Anthony as a dependent and get some tax relief.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: Question About the Celestron ASGT-5 new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4309271 - 01/12/11 11:35 AM

Sigh...I know what you mean. I will be ordering the dual saddle model. I just got the dual saddle model for my CGEM and as always, am very impressed with Anthony's work.

CarolG
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Question About the Celestron ASGT-5 new [Re: nemo129]
      #4341202 - 01/26/11 10:34 AM

There's another thread about things one could add to the CG5, but I don't want to hijack that thread, so I will ask my question here. It was suggested that a right angle adapter added to the power cord would be helpful. That got me thinking about the other cables. The coiled Dec cable seems rather short. I know Scopestuff has longer Dec cables for the 8 pin cables, but not the newer 6 pin cables. Is this Dec cable something to be worried about? If so, what have you all done to solve the 'problem'? As always, thanks so much for your input!!

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
      #4341453 - 01/26/11 12:39 PM

My dec cable has been fine. It appears that the normal stresses placed on the dec cable when the mount slews is well within tolerances. Reasonable care when attaching and storing should make it last a long time. Seems to be relatively impervious to cold temps, too. I've had it out in 12F to 25F temps for hours on a number of occasions.

Terrance
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/04

Loc: Near Portland Or.
Re: Question About the Celestron ASGT-5 [Re: CarolG]
      #4451397 - 03/15/11 12:06 PM

As a belated response to an earlier post about whether my heavy C11, with a Losmandy dovetail bar, held by a ADM Vixen-to-Losmandy adapter, to a CG-5 Vixen saddle, has ever slipped, the answer is no, never. I keep the C11 on the mount attached in that way, and have had it that way since May, 2010.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2547

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics