Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
"What do you hear Starbuck"?
      #4453925 - 03/16/11 03:09 PM

For most of you it probably is, "Nothing But The Rain"...So, whats the good word on the new Losmandy G8/G11 Gemini II's? Enough of them out there yet to form a consensus?

Edited by t.r. (03/16/11 04:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: "What do you hear Starbuck"? new [Re: t.r.]
      #4454724 - 03/16/11 10:15 PM

Well I have been frustrated with mine but only recently learned through the Yahoo group that the software supplied is extremely limited in functionality. Basically only an initial rough alignment is possible with the software until the "final" version becomes available with its full retinue of features. So . . . patience!

biomedchad
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Marion, Ohio
Re: "What do you hear Starbuck"? new [Re: dawziecat]
      #4454944 - 03/16/11 11:50 PM

i miss battlestar!! that is all

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/07

Loc: Southern Tier NY
Re: "What do you hear Starbuck"? new [Re: dawziecat]
      #4455186 - 03/17/11 03:28 AM

Quote:

Well I have been frustrated with mine but only recently learned through the Yahoo group that the software supplied is extremely limited in functionality. Basically only an initial rough alignment is possible with the software until the "final" version becomes available with its full retinue of features. So . . . patience!

Paying to be a beta tester....Sounds like Windows.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: "What do you hear Starbuck"? new [Re: Phil Cowell]
      #4455331 - 03/17/11 07:41 AM

Is that final version being forwarded/downloadable at no cost to those that have bought the first run?

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: "What do you hear Starbuck"? new [Re: t.r.]
      #4455339 - 03/17/11 07:50 AM

Yes, the Gemini II system allows for online updates via direct ethernet connection, or the user can remove the SD card and put it in a reader connected to a PC to upgrade the firmware. There is no charge for this. It is unfortunate that the final version is taking so long, but from my understanding there are only a handful of folks working on it, so that is the reason for slow going. There also seems to be a lack of communication of issues unless you join the Gemini II Yahoo group. If you are interested in one of these mounts, I suggest you join that group to get the latest info. Incidentally, I have heard of no ETA for the "final release" of Gemini II code yet. I suppose "final" is subjective, as the Gemini I code was worked on and improved over its 10 year lifespan. I have full confidence that the product will be excellent when it is final.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: "What do you hear Starbuck"? new [Re: nemo129]
      #4455401 - 03/17/11 09:01 AM

So there it is: Someday it will be a good product...

I had hoped to hear better. Gemini has been around so long, I had imagined Gemini II must be a mature product from the start.

Back to wondering if CGEM DX is just a stupid exercise in blinging an existing product, or if it is an actual improvement on the CGEM.

-Rich

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 964

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics