Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Kokopelli
sage

Reged: 11/01/10

Update Firmware on 2004 ASGT Mount?
      #4456418 - 03/17/11 05:50 PM

Can you update the firmware on an ASGT Mount from 2004? I have an opportunity to buy this mount but not thrilled about it not having two-star alignment and other updates.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PHampson
sage

Reged: 10/25/05

Loc: Nashville, TN
Re: Update Firmware on 2004 ASGT Mount? new [Re: Kokopelli]
      #4456505 - 03/17/11 06:49 PM

If the hand control has firmware version 4.13 or later, the answer is yes. If it is the original hand control like I got in 2005, it is not flashable and you have to buy the newer version. They used to take the older ones as trade-ins to reduce the price of the newer one to $75 but I don't know if that offer still stands. Contact Celestron support.

Good luck.

Paul

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Update Firmware on 2004 ASGT Mount? new [Re: PHampson]
      #4456526 - 03/17/11 06:58 PM

If the hand controller is any level of v4 firmware (right back to 4.10) you can up date it using a PC.

www.nexstarsite.com for instructions and firmware info.

Download HCupdate and MCupdate utilities from the Celeston website. You'll also need the HC to serial cable (Celestron part #93920 or homemade following the info on the website) and a serial port on your PC.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: Update Firmware on 2004 ASGT Mount? new [Re: PHampson]
      #4456530 - 03/17/11 06:59 PM

If the hand controller is any level of v4 firmware (right back to 4.10) you can update it using a PC.

www.nexstarsite.com for instructions and firmware info.

Download HCupdate and MCupdate utilities from the Celeston website. You'll also need the HC to serial cable (Celestron part #93920 or homemade following the info on the website) and a serial port on your PC.

Kokopelli
sage

Reged: 11/01/10

Re: Update Firmware on 2004 ASGT Mount? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4457244 - 03/18/11 06:12 AM

Thanks to everyone. It is pre-v4 firmware which requires a new handset. Unfortunately Celestron isn't doing the $75 and old handset deal. You have to buy a new one for $149. I'll pass on the deal.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
      #4457673 - 03/18/11 11:35 AM

It would be a very well spent $149. The upgraded version will make the mount "new" again and "All Star" is an amazingly great addition. A good quality EP would cost more, but you'll get a lot more out of this $149 upgrade!

Stan

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4458207 - 03/18/11 03:48 PM

I don't suppose you could appeal this issue to the seller of the mount to have him lower the price as you need to invest $149 to get it to work as you want it too? You could also look for a used HC as well. I have seen the programmable ones go for as little as $50 on Amart and other venues.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: Update Firmware on 2004 ASGT Mount? new [Re: nemo129]
      #4458360 - 03/18/11 05:07 PM

You can use any programmable hand controller from any Celestron scope/mount as long as you update the firmware with a gem version of the firmware.

I don't think there is any recourse from the previous owner unless there was some intention to miss lead (advertised as something it wasn't). The older version products work just fine, they just don't have all the later bells and whistles.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: Update Firmware on 2004 ASGT Mount? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4458415 - 03/18/11 05:42 PM

Mark,
I did not mean to imply the seller was misleading the OP, but maybe he was unaware that the HC was not updateable. All astronomers are not as hardcore as we are! It never hurts to ask! Since the OP did not post the offering price, we have no idea what the deal was anyway. If you consider the price of an equivalent new mount it may be a great deal even if a new HC is purchased (new or used).

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 760

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics