Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
LXD75 RA motor woes...
      #4457382 - 03/18/11 08:43 AM

The last time I used my LXD75 was at an outreach event...it was fine. Last night, I was at an outreach event and set everything up. RA wouldn't move, not slewing to do the star alignment nor when using the hand controller. So I did a Reset. When it came on, it went through the Test Motors run. The Dec axis moved, but the RA sat still. This is where the puzzle kicks in. There was no mention of a motor fault. The hand controller went on its merry way to have the information input as if everything was aces with the motors.

I haven't had a chance to open it up, but I thought I'd ask and get a jump start on some ideas. So...if it is the motor, I hope that Meade still sells them. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yock1960
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/22/08

Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA
Re: LXD75 RA motor woes... new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #4457397 - 03/18/11 08:59 AM

Maybe the motor is moving. Have you opened the access door to look at it? I have problems with the set screws on the spur gears backing off....if it backs of enough...the motor spindle would move but not the gear. If that were the case it might be pretty quiet too, with essentially no load.

Steve

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #4457428 - 03/18/11 09:20 AM

yep, set screw. I took my gear off and drill and tapped it for a number 6-32, wait no a number 8-32 set screw. I wanted a 6-32 but grab the wrong tap and oops now it's a 8-32 hole. make a lot of difference from what a 4-40 set screw.

SouthSee
journeyman

Reged: 10/25/09

Re: LXD75 RA motor woes... new [Re: Pinbout]
      #4457467 - 03/18/11 09:46 AM

I used Loctite on my set screws.

Transmographied

#4457573 - 03/18/11 10:45 AM

Well, unfortunately, it was already dark when I found the hiccup. Reading your replies, I had one of those moments. While I've not had that particular problem, I've read about it enough to have realized that could be it. It wouldn't have done any good since my tools were at home. Thanks for the reminder! That's probably why the hand controller didn't give a fault message.

David

VEEGER
journeyman

Reged: 03/11/11

Loc: Taylor Mill, KY USA
      #4458473 - 03/18/11 06:20 PM

Depressing..... Got one sitting in the living room now... Original shipping boxes..... Just delivered today..

Edited by VEEGER (03/18/11 06:20 PM)

Jeff Lee
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/06

Re: LXD75 RA motor woes... new [Re: VEEGER]
      #4458574 - 03/18/11 07:34 PM

Veeger - the new ones don't seem to have this issue...I've got hundreds of hours on one I bought used and its working fine. Relax and enjoy your new mount.

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: LXD75 RA motor woes... new [Re: Jeff Lee]
      #4458744 - 03/18/11 09:17 PM

Quote:

Veeger - the new ones don't seem to have this issue...I've got hundreds of hours on one I bought used and its working fine. Relax and enjoy your new mount.

Agreed, this problem is easy to fix

Alex

Transmographied

#4463075 - 03/20/11 10:07 PM

Update: Gears were tight. Bought the Loctite for nothing. So while I had it apart, I hooked up the power to it and off it went. RA is fine. Put it together, took it outside, trained the drives, did a mach 2 star align and all is well. Er, I'll see the next time I use it. I think I'll get some good electronic cleaner and go over all of the connections just for good measure. The internal wiring looked find. Everything was tight and the wiring didn't show any signs of being pinched. I probably should've left it assembled and tested it tomorrow.

David

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics