Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
spacebloke

Reged: 02/24/11

Loc: Bridgnorth, England
A little help with setup
      #4467960 - 03/23/11 08:01 AM

Hi, I had a bit of a disaster seting up my eq5 mount last night. I had no compass so I had a bit of difficulty lining it up with polaris. Once I finally got it lined up I couldn't see the diagram on the polar scope because it was dark. So I ended up on one knee trying to hold my power tanks light up the the polarscope so I could see the diagram and polaris at the same time. So basically it was nightmare. I'm getting a led light and a compass to help with alignment today.

Anyway, can a few of you check my setup procedure as I'm a little unsure about a few things that I'm doing.

1 - Point the mount north
2 - Check polarfinder programe to find where polaris is meant to be at that date and time and rotate RA axis to show the same as the diagram.
3 - Put polaris in the small bubble in the polar scope.
4 - Place weight, scope and attachments on the scope and get it balanced.

This is the part I'm unsure about.

5 - Do I rotate the RA axis back so that Polaris is inside the bubble again, or do I have it so the weight bar is in line with the north leg? This will the be the 'home' position right?

6 - Complete my 2-3 star alignment

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: A little help with setup new [Re: spacebloke]
      #4467965 - 03/23/11 08:07 AM

When you start the alignment, the scope should be in the "Index" position. This is where the little index markers are lined up.

And yes, this should result in the weight bar being aligned to the north leg.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: A little help with setup new [Re: Eddgie]
      #4468250 - 03/23/11 10:54 AM

I found that it was very difficult to quickly get a perfect home position after completing the polar alignment. You can "cheat" this by loosening the clutches after the first alignment star goto and pushing the scope to align the star. I get it close to centered, lock the clutches then use the controller's directional controls to finish the centering.

Phil

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 458

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics