Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
spacebloke

Reged: 02/24/11

Loc: Bridgnorth, England
Alignment problems with Eq5
      #4470417 - 03/24/11 08:42 AM Attachment (32 downloads)

Hi folks, I hope one of you can help me, I've got no idea whats wrong with my mount.
After doing my polar alignment everything looks ok untill I try the 2 star align. Its slews to completley the wrong area of the sky for both stars. After manually slewing and centering the two stars it still says 'alignment successfull' but when I choose a 'goto' star (Polaris) it puts it in a completly different place.

This is where it slewed to for Polaris (This is just an example, some were even further out!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Alignment problems with Eq5 new [Re: spacebloke]
      #4470459 - 03/24/11 09:11 AM

Perhaps it would help us help you if I asked some more questions.

Is this a new mount that you have never used before? Or is this a mount that you HAVE used before, but is just suddenly not working properly?

If it is the first, then the first thing I would recommend you do is re-read the instructions. You have to have the mount pointed towards the north and start from the HOME position, then initialize the mount with your city and time (remembering to change to DST if you live somewhere that uses daylight savings time).

If your problem is the latter, then try doing a "Factory Reset" under the Utilities menu. Sometimes, the mounts get bad data and a reset to defaults will fix the problem. You have to re-enter the initial setup info, but that only takes a few minutes.

So, a bit more info about your particular situation would help.

spacebloke

Re: Alignment problems with Eq5 new [Re: Eddgie]
      #4470492 - 03/24/11 09:34 AM

Hi eddjie.
This is a new mount. I have re-read the instructions and looked on different forums to see if anyone has experiences the same.
After polar alignment and before I turn the mount on I point everything north and lock the clutches.
I've already checked that I've been entering my coordinates correctly.
Daylight savings is off at the moment so that isn't an issue.
I'll try a factory reset to see if that helps.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #4470506 - 03/24/11 09:40 AM

Quote:

After polar alignment and before I turn the mount on I point everything north and lock the clutches.

What controller are you using? Not all systems use the same initial orientation. The behavior you describe is often caused by an incorrect initial orientation.

spacebloke

Re: Alignment problems with Eq5 new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #4470530 - 03/24/11 09:49 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

I'm using the standard synscan controller that came with the mount, version 3.27

This is my setup if it helps. Latitude is set to 52deg and its all balanced correctly.
This is a bit of a silly question but does it matter how i slew to the alignment stars?
When I look through the polar scope it's the is only bright star that I see, that must be polaris, right?
Is there anything in the menus I need to change?

guyinthesky
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/07

Loc: western ma.
      #4470557 - 03/24/11 10:03 AM

are you making sure its pointed north (home position) when you turn the power on? if the power is on first and then you put it to home position after polar aligning/moving it ect it might not aim right.

spacebloke

Re: Alignment problems with Eq5 new [Re: guyinthesky]
      #4470584 - 03/24/11 10:15 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

I don't turn the power on untill I've done polar alignment and put the scope in home position.

This is what the mount looks like after polar alignment with the weight bar facing north and in line with the north leg

dymy24
sage

Reged: 07/28/08

Loc: Fayetteville, NC
      #4470629 - 03/24/11 10:32 AM

I have a Skywatcher EQ5P. Here are the most common reasons that I fail the star alignment routine. Check these:

1. The mount "forgets" where it is and I have to re-enter the location.
2. The mount "forgets" what time zone I am in and ddefaults back to GMT +5. That's exactly 10 hours wrong for me. From your attached photo, it looks like you might be an hour or more off.
3. On the occasions that the mount "forgets" saved settings, I enter the wrong Daylight Savings prompt.

spacebloke

Re: Alignment problems with Eq5 new [Re: dymy24]
      #4470663 - 03/24/11 10:41 AM

Hi dymy24,
I always check the settings before I do any alignment.
Which photo do you mean?
My time zone is always +0 and daylight saving is off

dymy24
sage

Reged: 07/28/08

Loc: Fayetteville, NC
      #4470683 - 03/24/11 10:48 AM

The first photo of the screen shot showing the pointing error you typically experience.

Unless your mount is broken, you probably have a setting wrong somewhere. It's frustrating, but generally easy to fix once you discover what button is pushed wrong.

My mount is permanently installed on a pier, so I most often just start from park, but I have had some frustrating episodes when the SynScan first started losing information. Hang in there - you'll figure it out.

spacebloke

Re: Alignment problems with Eq5 new [Re: dymy24]
      #4472702 - 03/25/11 05:22 AM

Went out with the scope again yesterday and I was having the same problems.
One glimmer of hope though, the 'needs charging' light came on on my celestron powertank.
Is it possible that insufficient power could be the cause of the problems? would it cause such erratic behaviour with alignment?

Pages: 1

Extra information
28 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 732

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics