Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new
      #4473849 - 03/25/11 04:27 PM

I am about ready to consider a GoTo GEM. Can I do better than a CG5-GT in terms of my needs? Want as lightweight as possible. Visual only. Biggest telescope at 10-12 pounds and F/6 with binoviewer. $800 or less used or new. Relatively simple to use. Don't want wasteful overkill, as lightest weight a very key factor second only to being able to carry at least 12 pounds comfortably.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #4473981 - 03/25/11 05:20 PM

Hmm... the Skywatcher EQ3 Synscan might be a *little* lighter then the CG-5. I think the EQ3 comes with 1.75" tripod legs rather then 2" tripod legs. Not sure if the mount head is any lighter though (I have not seen an EQ3 in person).

I own a CG-5 ASGT myself. I am thinking given the EQ3 is not going to be a *huge* difference in weight I would in your place go for a CG-5, but then keep an eye out on the classifieds here and on astromart for someone selling the 1.75" tripod to save on some weight, or someone who will trade for your 2" tripod. The 2" tripod is more stable of course, but you do have a fairly light load in mind and you did say you want as light as possible.

There is also an older aluminum tripod that came with CG-5/EQ-5 mounts in the past - I have no direct experience with them but I get the general impression it would be better to stick with the heavier 1.75" or 2" steel tripod even though they weigh more.

Arbacia
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/18/07

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Falcon-]
      #4475054 - 03/26/11 08:51 AM

What about a Nexstar SE?
It can handle 12lb and can be placed in an urban backpack

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Arbacia]
      #4475319 - 03/26/11 11:16 AM

CG-5. Easy to lift and move. You'll have something to grow into due to it's weight capacity of 35lbs. And at around $650 it's a bargain.

My two cents.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Bart]
      #4475489 - 03/26/11 12:36 PM

I have a Nexstar 6/8SE mount (which I haven't used yet) but my understanding is while you can use the motors to follow an object, it doesn't track like a true GEM. Also, it has limits on length of a refractor before you start hitting the frame at certain elevations. I think my short tube 80mm MIGHT work but not my 125mm refractor (lightweight at 10 pounds but longer than the clearance.

So far, it sounds like the CG-5 GoTo version

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #4476157 - 03/26/11 06:44 PM

I think you would be good to go with the CG-5. They are light (relatively ) and easy to use, solid platform and can take a pounding. I really love mine!

Arbacia
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/18/07

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: nemo129]
      #4477957 - 03/27/11 03:40 PM

CG5 GT is a very good option indeed. Strong, light and cheap. However, it need to be use on a tripod (6kg) or column. For transport the tripod and the counterwights are an issue.

Nexstar SE has tracking as any EQ (Sideral, solar, lunar & none), and can be mout on an EQ wedge. For sort tubes is OK, but long tubes will have an issue, especially looking near the zenit in AZ mode. Moreover, it can be use with no tripod at all. Frequently, I use it on a table as in that photo (Megrez 80 + coronado solarmax 40mm)

Try to use the Nexstar you have already before to buy a CG5 GT.

Trev
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/18/05

Loc: Fort McMurray, AB
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Arbacia]
      #4477968 - 03/27/11 03:50 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Celestron Nexstar SLT mount is a step down from the SE mount but is capable of holding 12lbs. The factory mount tripod is shaky but easily replaced with an aluminium tripod.
My SVNHNG with binos and a 2" diagonal weights exactly 12lbs, focusing is a little shaky but when it's tracking it's very steady.

Eric Gage
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/13/05

Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Trev]
      #4479476 - 03/28/11 11:57 AM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Vixen Sphinx. It is the first mount that I have owned that is truly much smaller, lighter than anticipated and makes a great visual GOTO platform.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? new [Re: Eric Gage]
      #4479508 - 03/28/11 12:11 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Vixen Sphinx. It is the first mount that I have owned that is truly much smaller, lighter than anticipated and makes a great visual GOTO platform.

Maybe that's because the OP was asking about mounts under $800. ALthough the Vixen is obviously a very good mount, it is just a little bit above the price point of the OP.

Stan

waassaabee
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/07

Loc: Central California Coast
Re: Lightweight GoTo mount suggestion? [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4479558 - 03/28/11 12:32 PM

Another fan of the CG5 here!! Check around and you can usually find excellent condition used CG5's for under $500. Just make sure it's the upgradeable hand controller!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1406

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics