Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Grimzella
sage

Reged: 02/10/08

Loc: Washington, Pennsylvania
autostar Lxd75 help coordinate? new
      #4463930 - 03/21/11 11:34 AM

I'm going to try and explain my question, with not so much "experience" I am learning everyday, mostly not having to bother anyone. But I just have this burning issue i must ask about the Autostar 497 on the lxd75 mount.

Here is the situation. Say I have my target centered, and polar aligned correctly. 2 star alingnment also done. After taking say a 1 hr or so "luminance layer" for detail.. i must now add\remove filters for RGB.. messing up focus. Before slewing to a brighter star for refocus.. is there a way to get, say.. an X\Y coordinates reading from the autostar..(of my current target) Before slewing left or right to find a brighter star for refocus after filter changes. numbers would make it much easier to re-find my target, as the autostar is not "dead on" finding targets.

Hope i make sense here.
Dave

Edited by Grimzella (03/21/11 11:35 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: autostar Lxd75 help coordinate? new [Re: Grimzella]
      #4463962 - 03/21/11 11:53 AM

Quote:

is there a way to get, say.. an X\Y coordinates reading from the autostar..(of my current target) Before slewing left or right to find a brighter star for refocus after filter changes. numbers would make it much easier to re-find my target,

It's even easier than that. You can do a "synch" on the object before slewing away for focus - then a goto back to the object should be very close. It's been a while and you might need to check the manual, but I think that to synch with a #497 you hold the goto button down for a few seconds.

Grimzella
sage

Re: autostar Lxd75 help coordinate? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #4464012 - 03/21/11 12:12 PM

thx, i have and do sync on every target.. so are u saying, if i slew away... in ANY direction to find a focus star, all i need to do is hit a button, and it will go back to the sync'd target? i'm unclear which button this is to "return" back to sync'd target. on the 497 its ENTER to sync, i think.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: autostar Lxd75 help coordinate? new [Re: Grimzella]
      #4464169 - 03/21/11 01:37 PM

When you do a synch you are telling the mount that it is precisely pointed at the most recent goto target. If you slew manually somewhere else and then press "goto", it will return to that last goto target.

Grimzella
sage

Re: autostar Lxd75 help coordinate? [Re: jrcrilly]
      #4479688 - 03/28/11 01:23 PM

thank you, i will try this out tonight, as last night i was out getting 5min subs of the Crescent nebula, around 3am.. (forgot to check back here for the answer, doh) should be clear tonight, 14deg for a low,, but that means clear skies, and more time on the crescent.

Hoping to post pics soon.

Thanks,
Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 667

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics