Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Inexpensive GPS unit for Atlas/EQ6/EQ5 via EQMOD new
      #4483641 - 03/30/11 01:27 AM

Got this little unit for about $20 from Amazon market place: Microsoft Pharos GPS-500 III GPS Receiver

Uses NMEA standard. EQMOD can directly access latitude, longitude and elevation information if you plug the receiver into an available USB port on your laptop. Price seems to have gone up a couple of bucks, but still a great way to upgrade your mount's features. This comes prepackaged with some bundles of Streets and Maps.

Also works under linux with Viking GPS Data Manager and tangoGPS if you need free mapping software.

Ajay

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Inexpensive GPS unit for Atlas/EQ6/EQ5 via EQMOD [Re: bluedandelion]
      #4485258 - 03/30/11 06:26 PM

I have an old DeLorme unit with an RS-232 connector on the end of the cable that's been retired from service for a number of years. A plastic box with connectors on it and a single push button switch to initialize the unit was all it took to get it working with EQMOD. It's a great addition to the "take to remote sites" kit. I almost never need to set the time on my computers because they are all used on the net and have NTP (Network Time Protocol) installed to keep the clock accurate.

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1106

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics