Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Starpoke
sage

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: Western Montana
The Sphinx is here
      #4487567 - 03/31/11 06:53 PM

I have been lurking a bit but mainly chashing after other ADHD illusions such as photography, geneology, G qauge trains, and computers. I got bummed out when my CG5 goto went insane and have confind my activity to just a few Astro club meeting. But my juices got fired up when I saw a Vixen Sphinx on Ebay listed at a low price. The seller seemed a little scary but scope-lust took over and I got it pretty cheap; for a Sphinx, that is. All it needed was a half-piler, polar scope, power cord, manual, case and a soft ware upgrade. Whoops! I probably could have got an Atlas or a used G-8 for what I eventually spent, but I am going to stick with the bird in hnad, so to speak.
This computer seems to be virus ridden so I will post a pic from my laptop. Do not ever allow a rouge program named "Win 7 Total Defence" to talk you into buying it. It gradually eats all your exe files so you become a zombie. At least the off switch still works.
Glenn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ranger Tim
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/08

Loc: SE Idaho, USA
Re: The Sphinx is here new [Re: Starpoke]
      #4487707 - 03/31/11 07:41 PM

Make sure to visit the Sphinx Yahoo Group for more information. Be sure to loosen the RA and DEC clutches when storing to prevent damage. Be careful when fastening the head to the tripod and hold it with one hand securely. Always plug in the Star Book cord before applying power to the mount. Align on two stars on one side before adding two from the other. More alignments will produce very good accuracy IF you have centered the objects properly - I use a reticle eyepiece for alignment.

Good luck and enjoy the mount. I will keep mine for a portable visual rig regardless of what I upgrade to for AP. While useable for AP I want a mount that has more capacity and less "personality." Drop me a PM if you need help figuring out the polar scope settings - it is a very accurate device.

Eric Gage
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/13/05

Re: The Sphinx is here new [Re: Ranger Tim]
      #4492042 - 04/02/11 07:06 PM

Quote:

While useable for AP I want a mount that has more capacity and less "personality."

My sentiments exactly. I think I could pier mount the sphinx for more capacity, but that sort of defeats the charm of the mount. I've been half-heartedly trying to sell mine, but I may keep 'er for a portable and/or wide field if the right offer doesn't come along.

Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
Re: Mount to dream about for my WO FLT98-CF please new [Re: Eric Gage]
      #4494889 - 04/04/11 01:07 AM

Welcome to the sphinx. I have an sxd. It has it's quirks. After getting more used to the star book I find I can keep it dark most of the time which is my biggest issue along with a sometimes jumpy manual skewingl
I use an apple extreme base station sometimes to drive the mount off of my iPhone 4 or iPad running sky safari. Many people are looking at the nexsxd board which replaces the vixen control board and allows use of a Celestron HC which has much better promise for AP as well as dumping the quirky star book and keeping the great vixen mount you bought.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 960

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics