Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Can you attach a dobsonian newt ota to a gem? new [Re: user8881]
      #4492476 - 04/02/11 11:54 PM

Quote:

could I put my Orion XT10 classic on a Meade LX75 or equivelant mount?

Celestron still sells their C10N-GT which sits on the CG5 mount which is pretty much the same as the LXD75. So they must think it's okay. I've used that configuration before and found it to be somewhat marginal.

The main difficulty in putting so much weight on the mount comes when trying to focus the scope. The slightest touch can cause vibrations which take a few seconds to dampen out. Touching your face against the eyepiece can do the same thing.

The other thing is that a 10" Newt on an EQ mount can be just plain difficult to use. The contortions required to get to the eyepiece can sometimes be painful, depending on where the scope is pointed.

Patrick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: Can you attach a dobsonian newt ota to a gem? new [Re: Patrick]
      #4492620 - 04/03/11 02:16 AM

Meade was also selling LXD75 with 10" reflector on top of it, so that means it is designed to carry such load.

Alex

Asimov
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/11/10

Re: Can you attach a dobsonian newt ota to a gem? new [Re: avarakin]
      #4492686 - 04/03/11 03:19 AM

The SN-10 weighs 13.61 kg. (30 lbs.) So there's some indication. Heck, that's nearly the weight of my 14" OTA! Heavy little sucker!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Can you attach a dobsonian newt ota to a gem? new [Re: Patrick]
      #4492735 - 04/03/11 04:57 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

could I put my Orion XT10 classic on a Meade LX75 or equivelant mount?

Celestron still sells their C10N-GT which sits on the CG5 mount which is pretty much the same as the LXD75. So they must think it's okay. I've used that configuration before and found it to be somewhat marginal.

The main difficulty in putting so much weight on the mount comes when trying to focus the scope. The slightest touch can cause vibrations which take a few seconds to dampen out. Touching your face against the eyepiece can do the same thing.

The other thing is that a 10" Newt on an EQ mount can be just plain difficult to use. The contortions required to get to the eyepiece can sometimes be painful, depending on where the scope is pointed.

Patrick

Patrick:

The fact that Celestron will sell you a 10 inch Newtonian on the CG-5 mount doesn't mean it is a good choice, it just means they are willing to sell it... This is what it looks like to me:

A few years ago, I bought a pair of rings so I could mount my 10 inch F/5 GSO Dob on my CG-5 ASGT. I was (and am) using the mount with a 8 inch F/5 Newtonian and it works quite well. I set it in my telescope work area, mounted the 10 inch F/5 onto the CG-5, it took 33lbs of counter weights to balance it, and that was without eyepieces. I could tell then and there that from a stability standpoint, the mount was overloaded, it wobbled and vibrated at very touch. NO WAY JOSE...

As far as the Newtonians from 30 years ago, I have a couple, an RV-6 and a 12.5 inch F/6 RG. Certainly the pier mount is the right design for scopes like this. Those old mounts were robust but crude and everything is heavy, the OTA is about 100lbs, it takes 85lbs of counterweights, total weight is about 300lbs. The rotating rings, they are nice, it gives nice views.

My suggestion to anyone considering building or buying a larger Newtonian on a GEM, if you haven't used one, find a way to spend a few hours with one. Patrick and others point to the difficulty in using these scopes. Viewing positions can be awkward....

There is a reason they call it the "Dob revolution." Dobsonians are simplier, more stable, much more comfortable to use. If you are looking over the fence and seeing the greenery of tracking that the GEM provides, it's kind of soggy over there. Take a careful look before you commit.

Jon

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Can you attach a dobsonian newt ota to a gem? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #4492795 - 04/03/11 06:05 AM

Quote:

Patrick:

The fact that Celestron will sell you a 10 inch Newtonian on the CG-5 mount doesn't mean it is a good choice, it just means they are willing to sell it...

Yes, I totally agree. Sorry if I wasn't clearer when I said it was 'marginal'.

The guy who owned the C10N-GT was an older man, and by the time he got the scope setup he was too tired to use it or enjoy it. In addition to the ergonomics of using a Newt on a GEM in general, a 10" Newt on a GEM often requires the use of a ladder or stepping stool to get to the eyepiece.

If one wants to add tracking to a Dob, the best solution might be an equatorial platform.

Patrick

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Can you attach a dobsonian newt ota to a gem? [Re: Patrick]
      #4493314 - 04/03/11 11:41 AM

I agree, the Eq Platforms work great. When Tom O first came up what that I called him and he gladly sent the plans. I built my own to use with my homebuilt 16" Dob. Was not difficult to do (Eq plat), however I know many sell them today. They work great and can give to 15+ minutes of Sidereal Tracking. More than enough for imaging. Then reset it and star hop to your next target. Also, you will have no field rotation issues.

I beauty of the Dob is the way it works. The EP hight and ability to easily start hop from DSO to DSO is an altogether different experience. More earthy if that not to weir. Using an Eq Platform maintains that earthy feel to using a John Dobson designed telescope, while not stopping you from have the ability to image or just keep things centered in the EP while others jump up for a view. Especially useful with my wife and younger kids who sometimes had trouble pushing and pulling in the correct directions.

Joe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2769

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics