Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
tpatnode

Reged: 01/03/09

Loc: Southern Pines, North Carolina
Suggestions for Tripod and Alt-Az Mount new
      #4499885 - 04/06/11 08:35 AM

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive tripod and mount for my Orion 90 mm refractor. I also have a Celestron C130 Mak that I may use on it occasionally. I'm not interested in tracking or goto, but I do like having slo-mo controls. I have a cheap tripod and mount that came with the C130 that I am currently using, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lw24

Reged: 02/23/11

Re: Suggestions for Tripod and Alt-Az Mount new [Re: tpatnode]
      #4500228 - 04/06/11 11:34 AM

You could get an AZ3, which is what I have for my Skywatcher Startravel 120. That should be sufficient for your 90mm refractor.

Perhaps a Vixen Mini Porta would be better than the AZ3, however it comes at a cost.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Suggestions for Tripod and Alt-Az Mount new [Re: lw24]
      #4500271 - 04/06/11 11:53 AM

Tony,
Vixen used to make a nice alt-az, that shows up now and then on the used pages. Meade had a Chinese copy made, that after a tune-up, works ok, I currently have one under my 80mm, and it's fine for that scope. It's easier for newbies to run than the equatorial it used to be mounted on. Given my choice, I'd wait for the Vixen to reappear, as the manufacturing tolerances on the copy aren't quite precision...... I think I remember seeing one in the classifieds a few weeks ago, perhaps you could do a search, find out the model name or whatever, and post a 'wanted' ad.
Good luck,
Russ

Scopyfrank
999 Forever

Reged: 08/29/08

Loc: Luxembourg
      #4500296 - 04/06/11 12:03 PM

Hi, I recently stumbled over the Skytee II: a manual azimutal double mount with slow motion knobs, shortly discussed in this thread:

Skytee II

The advantage could be to mount both scopes side by side. Worth taking a look.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #4500737 - 04/06/11 03:18 PM

Tony,

Get an Vixen Porta II Mount, it has Slo-Mo controls.

CS,KLU,

Tom

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Suggestions for Tripod and Alt-Az Mount [Re: roscoe]
      #4501320 - 04/06/11 08:04 PM

Quote:

Tony,
Vixen used to make a nice alt-az, that shows up now and then on the used pages. Meade had a Chinese copy made, that after a tune-up, works ok, I currently have one under my 80mm, and it's fine for that scope. It's easier for newbies to run than the equatorial it used to be mounted on. Given my choice, I'd wait for the Vixen to reappear, as the manufacturing tolerances on the copy aren't quite precision...... I think I remember seeing one in the classifieds a few weeks ago, perhaps you could do a search, find out the model name or whatever, and post a 'wanted' ad.
Good luck,
Russ

I just picked up one of those Meade copies from Telescope Warehouse on ebay. $33!! I have another, table top version made by Antares and I find this style of alt-az far better than the AZ3.

I even mounted my ST120 on the Antares one for kicks and it held it just fine!

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 688

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics