Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC new
      #4500273 - 04/06/11 11:53 AM

How difficult is it to remove OTA from CPC 925, then use on an EQ mount? I'd want a GoTo mount that's sturdy enough for basic AP but each component isn't too heavy, and it's gotta be reasonable? Any ideas or am I delusional? Thanks-
Bruce

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
Re: How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #4500323 - 04/06/11 12:18 PM

Sorry I have never done that to a CPC but I have removed a 10 sct ota from a LX50 mount and it was not that hard.

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC new [Re: George Methvin]
      #4500470 - 04/06/11 01:17 PM

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&nav=0&kbarticleid=2412

Peter

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC new [Re: George Methvin]
      #4500501 - 04/06/11 01:29 PM

Bruce,

Your thinking about smaller lighter components is sound. It's not too hard at all to de fork a CPC925, but it's generally considered a one way trip. You'll only need basic tools ... a good set of imperial allen wrenches (the one for the plastic covers is not a popular size) and a large Phillips head screw driver, and a bit of care. You have to loosen one of the fork arms from the base a little bit so you can spread the fork arms as you remove the ota. A blanket and an extra pair of hands are usually a good ideas too.

Then buy a good Losmandy D type plate and radius blocks for the C925 (Losmandy or ADM) and mount it on your favourite gem. Remember that the Atlas/EQ-6 mounts have a smaller Vixen compatible saddle (can be upgraded ... see ADM) and while Celestron does sell a C925 with this smaller mounting dovetail bar it's not generally considered a great setup ... the wider and more robust Losmandy D type plate is preferred with the C925 ota.

One other thing to consider ... you'll never really get a good price for the forks/base so unless your CPC has exceptional optics I would consider selling it complete and buying a C925 ota.

charles1317
Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Reged: 03/05/10

Loc: Olympia, Wa USA
Re: How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4501769 - 04/07/11 12:23 AM

Mark, why is this considered a one way trip?

Thanks

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: How Hard is it to Remove OTA from CPC [Re: charles1317]
      #4501804 - 04/07/11 12:51 AM

Mounting up (at least a Meade which I've done) and getting it squared up again takes a bit of doing. I agree with mark that the forks alone aren't gonna bring much accept as parts. Not a lot of folks buying OTA alone and putting them into fork mounts.

If you sell it all and buy just an OTA you may do better. Unless as he said the optics in that tube are something extra special (which is possible).

I can be done, but if you go back and don't do it correctly you or someone you sell it to later will have a devil of a time with pointing accuracy... FWIW... Joe

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1471

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics