Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Robert Fink

Reged: 03/01/11

Loc: California
Stellarvue MG2 mount question
      #4503116 - 04/07/11 03:38 PM

I'm attempting to align a second telescope on this mount and am finding it a little tricky. To align the two scopes vertically, I found an object between a mile and two miles away, lined up the first, loosened the set screws and attempted to align the second. When I went to tighten the set screws the image traveled up in the second scope, and when I slewed the mount around and then rechecked the vertical alignment, the image had traveled upward and totally out of the FOV. I'm thinking that I did not tightened the set screws down enough, but with the travel of the image when I tightened them, I was concerned that it would become worse.

Edited by Robert Fink (04/07/11 04:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phil Frederick
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/19/05

Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX
Re: Stellarvue MG2 mount question new [Re: Robert Fink]
      #4503643 - 04/07/11 08:04 PM

Robert,

I found that in order to get the vertical alignment to stay put, I'd aim the scope on the right side at a distant object and VERY FIRMLY lock the alt knob. Then loosen the setscrews and adjust the vertical alignment on the second scope til its aligned with the first. The setscrews need to be re-tightned very firmly but be careful not to strip them out! Sometimes I'd go through this process and still find that something slightly shifted--gotta do it again!!

Phil

Robert Fink

Re: Stellarvue MG2 mount question new [Re: Phil Frederick]
      #4503680 - 04/07/11 08:20 PM

Phil,

Thanks for your response. Have you shimmed the horizontal to bring the scopes to the same point. If so, how did you work that?

Rob

Phil Frederick
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/19/05

Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX
      #4504794 - 04/08/11 11:14 AM

Rob,

I've found that on my MG2 the horizontal alignment is pretty close but does require a slight bit of shimming to get it spot on. I've done this by figuring out which way the alignment needs to be adjusted and then placing a thin shim between the dovetail and the appropriate ring. How thick the shim needs to be will be dependent upon how much adjustment is required--it's kinda trial and error to get it just right but it doesn't take too much. I just used some thin cardboard and stacked pieces until I got the right number in there to correct the alignment.

Phil

Robert Fink

Re: Stellarvue MG2 mount question new [Re: Phil Frederick]
      #4504832 - 04/08/11 11:32 AM

Great Phil,

Thanks

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#4505051 - 04/08/11 01:31 PM

I use a set of sparkplug gap measures. They come in an infinit number of fine adjustment. Joe

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 864

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics