Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
Gary Bennett
Vendor

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: Toronto, ON
CGE Mount Upgrades - 2 New Kits Now Available
      #4504908 - 04/08/11 12:11 PM

As a long time member of the CGE Uncensored Group I am aware of quite a few CGE owners who, in addition to the usual hand controller problems, also have inoperable PC Ports thanks to those *BLEEP* "phone plugs". So in response to that, I pleased to announce that I am able to offer a permanent solution.

Along with the spiffy new hardware design of the original Cable Replacement Kit, there are now 2 new Mount Control Kits in the line-up.

The original RA/DEC Cable Replacement Kits continue to solve the most common complaint about the CGE mount. Namely, the external CAT5E cables, and more importantly, the RJ45 (Ethernet) plugs. BUT… the mount is still left with numerous "phone plugs" that are used to communicate with the mount:
• Hand Controller
• GPS Unit
• PC Port
• Auto Guide Port
• Power Supply Plug (not a "phone plug" but still "weenie")

The factory original plugs (phone plugs) for these devices are just not meant to be subjected to dew, frost, dust, tree sap (airborne), or constant motion and "tugging" on such a weenie connector. Proof of this is comes from the number of incidents of loss of communication with the mount (Error Code 16/17 for example) which usually requires shut down and starting the alignment process from scratch. For astrophotographers, it is not uncommon that the restart process can take an hour or more (align, plate solve, focus). Clear, dark skies are too precious to be wasted on a poor design choice using parts that cost only a few pennies yet cause so many problems.

The solution I offer is to replace the plugs and sockets with robust plugs and connectors that are immune from the effects of Mother Nature. As with the original RA/DEC Kits, the Mount Control Kits use the same "military style" circular connectors with a threaded locking ring. Each kit is tested prior to shipping, either by connecting to my personal CGE mount (where practical) or by way of continuity testing techniques.

There are 2 separate Mount Control Kits:
• Kit # 1 – Hand Control / AUX2 / AUX1 Ports
• Kit # 2 – PC Port / Auto Guide Port / Power Connector

More information, including installation instruction guides, is available on the website:
http://bendun.net/CGE-UPGRADE-KITS.html

I consider the kit installation to be "easy" but I will also be offering an installation service for the 2 new kits.

I welcome your questions.

Gary Bennett

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lightscreens

Reged: 10/25/10

Re: CGE Mount Upgrades - 2 New Kits Now Available new [Re: Gary Bennett]
      #5574542 - 12/16/12 05:43 PM

Can you tell me the kit price.

Regards

Edited by BRisley (12/16/12 09:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1338

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics