Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info?
      #4507011 - 04/09/11 01:03 PM

Has anyone tried out the new Gemini II? If so how does it compare with other GOTOs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: mistyridge]
      #4507016 - 04/09/11 01:06 PM

Why not check out the Yahoo Losmandy Users and Gemini users groups and ask them there?

That's where the beta testers and Rene all hang out, after all..,

Regards,

skybsd

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: skybsd]
      #4507280 - 04/09/11 03:03 PM

There are still major problems with the firmware and I would consider Gemini II in the Beta + testing stages. Not a day goes by without another problem coming up. Take skybsd's suggestion, join the Yahoo Gemini II Group and you can read about 25 to 30 Posts each day on what is going on.

Gemini II is a great system but it is still having the bugs worked out. If you enjoy getting in on the ground floor by all means buy one and help with the development. If not, wait at least 6 months to a year before you buy.

Luck, Bill

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: Billydee]
      #4507753 - 04/09/11 07:37 PM

Sounds like it is a year before it hits the market and is ready for prime time. I will look at other brands of reliable 60lb capacity mounts currently available. My CGEM just does not make the cut with my C11 and 115T on a side by side set up at 46lb.

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
      #4507914 - 04/09/11 09:12 PM

Buy a used G-11 with a proven Gemini I and you will have a solid setup. Then plan to change to a Gemini II in about 9 months. You will be able to sell the Gemini I and then you will have the most upto date system. The G-11 will always hold it's value.

Join the Yahoo Groups: #1. Losmandy, #2. Gemini I and #3. Gemini II. You will enjoy the talk.

Luck, Bill

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#4508076 - 04/09/11 11:17 PM

What about the CGEM Pro? You could buy it with the C-14 Edge HD and give me the OTA
Joe

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: jmiele]
      #4508315 - 04/10/11 02:50 AM

GGEpro is to tall. Plus it does not have the same quality as the G11 IMO.

skybsd
Post Laureate

#4508403 - 04/10/11 05:16 AM

Hello,

Quote:

GGEpro is to tall. Plus it does not have the same quality as the G11 IMO.

Quality© is relative to one's requirements (wants?) and budget, really.

If the CGE-Pro is too tall - then that's fair enough. Off the candidate list it must go..,

You mentioned previously that you were interested in a 60lb payload capacity mount.

As a fmr G11 owner, I can tell you that if it is that you intend (want / need) to install 60lbs of instrument weight on a G11, its a good idea to try to find people who actually do this, and determine what that's like.

I've no intentions of putting a dampener here, but heading over to those Yahoo groups is the best thing you can do to assess your expectations of a G11, really.

Best wishes..,

Regards,

skybsd

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/07

Loc: Southern Tier NY
      #4508548 - 04/10/11 08:26 AM

Agreed with 60#'s of payload and the choice is G11 or CGE Pro the CGE Pro is the only real option.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: Phil Cowell]
      #4508991 - 04/10/11 12:20 PM

One of our imagers used to have a 14" Meade on a G11 and produced some nice stuff. I'm going to venture a guess, but I know his first name is Dwight and I think his last name is Tally. You might want to look him up.

David

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #4509125 - 04/10/11 01:27 PM

I plan to use a C11 and light SV115T20 or SV70ED On a side by side. Total weight under 45lb with Mallincam.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #4509185 - 04/10/11 01:53 PM

if you plan on imaging and use automated software or the sky to control the mount, I am not sure there is a big reason to change from the Gemini 1. Once you have turned it on and aligned the mount, you don't even touch the hand controller.
I use CCDAutoPliot with The Sky 6 Pro and Maxim DL with PinPoint and Focusmax and it is all completely automatic after I turn it on, even taking flats and bias as well as parking the mount as stopping tracking.
Blueman

Eric Gage
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/13/05

#4509374 - 04/10/11 03:56 PM

Quote:

Why not check out the Yahoo Losmandy Users and Gemini users groups and ask them there?

Regards,

skybsd

Respectfully, I dissent. Cloudy Nights is the best astronomy community on the net. Certainly the yahoo groups have their place, but the user interface is awful, frankly. In my opinion, when a CN'er asks a question here and it told to go elsewhere, this is pretty much a non-answer. There are several active GII users active here. Rather than encouraging members to seek answers elsewhere, why not let the thread unfold through posts from GII users?

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #4509470 - 04/10/11 04:52 PM

Quote:

One of our imagers used to have a 14" Meade on a G11 and produced some nice stuff. I'm going to venture a guess, but I know his first name is Dwight and I think his last name is Tally. You might want to look him up.

David

I run the Meade 14" on mine as well. Some might get away with it on a G11 but it really is outside it's envelope. Hey there are some working wonders with a CG5 but the time and care involved is not for most of us.
Between the two at that weight, I would put my money on the Pro for most folks having sucess without going to a lot of effort. That's unmodified out of the box.
Phil

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: Eric Gage]
      #4509478 - 04/10/11 04:55 PM

Hello,

Quote:

Quote:

Regards,

skybsd

Respectfully, I dissent. Cloudy Nights is the best astronomy community on the net. Certainly the yahoo groups have their place, but the user interface is awful, frankly. In my opinion, when a CN'er asks a question here and it told to go elsewhere, this is pretty much a non-answer. There are several active GII users active here. Rather than encouraging members to seek answers elsewhere, why not let the thread unfold through posts from GII users?

In case you did not know, other than directly with Rene, the Yahoo Gemni and Gemini-II user groups are two of the main designated forums where Gemini-II users currently in beta and field testing are actively posting and providing feedback on code releases - NOT Cloudy Nights.

You may also wish to ask yourself why it is that the "several active GII users active here" are not actually posting their feedback or reviews on Cloudy Nights.

I'm done..,

Regards,

skybsd

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: blueman]
      #4509479 - 04/10/11 04:55 PM

Quote:

if you plan on imaging and use automated software or the sky to control the mount, I am not sure there is a big reason to change from the Gemini 1. Once you have turned it on and aligned the mount, you don't even touch the hand controller.

That's until a critical component dies and then the fix is a replacement due to things like the RTC being no longer available.
If the OP has their heart set on a G11 I'd recommend waiting until G2 is out of beta and stable with full functionality.

kbastro
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Running from Clouds
Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: Phil Cowell]
      #4509556 - 04/10/11 05:38 PM

Quote:

If the OP has their heart set on a G11 I'd recommend waiting until G2 is out of beta and stable with full functionality.

I agree with this! My 1st gemini 1 was lvl 3 version 1.03,,,
I then upgraded it to lvl 4 version 1.05.

Wait till the bugs have worked themselves out and as well as additional features come on line.

kb

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: kbastro]
      #4509713 - 04/10/11 07:19 PM

I am more leary of buying a CGEpro for 5K+ and have it superceded by the new and improved CGEsuperPro with a totaly different operating system two years from now. I would bet the farm on the G11 as it has beem around a long time and besides it is made just south of where I live and I can aways find parts to repair it without paying the ever increasing shipping charges. The Gemini 2 OS is no different than the stuff I have been buying from Microsoft for years. It is aways a work in progress. As long as I can plug it into a USB and get an update....so what is the difference.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#4509809 - 04/10/11 08:20 PM

That's sound logic. No doubt the Losmandy G11 is a fine product and support/repair strong. Joe

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: Losmandy G11 Gemini II any info? new [Re: jmiele]
      #4509905 - 04/10/11 09:13 PM

The biggest problem that I've been hearing about the G2 on the Yahoo group is that even the alignment routine is not complete. From what I gathered recently, it's only capable of a one-star alignment, which is pretty darned basic for something that is being shipped to end users, not beta testers.

Although, from the sound of it, all the current buyers ARE the beta testers.

I'm not knocking it, it'd just be nice if they told the people ordering that up front.

I've been watching the Losmandy and G2 groups very closely because as badly as I want a Mach-1, I'm probably going to have to settle for a G-11.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
30 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5725

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics