Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
smshnick
journeyman

Reged: 03/17/11

Right Ascension Disassembly - Meade LXD75
      #4507919 - 04/09/11 09:16 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

O.k., I'm in the middle of a Hypertune on my LXD75 mount and am unable to get the setting circles / right ascension assembly apart. The Hypertune DVD says it's easy and they should just slide apart but mine certainly doesn't. There's a ring in front of it that I've loosened, but nothing appears to give. I've tried channel locks to break loose the Polar Scope / Clock dial assembly but no luck.. Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
smshnick
journeyman

Reged: 03/17/11

Re: Right Ascension Disassembly - Meade LXD75 new [Re: smshnick]
      #4507965 - 04/09/11 09:57 PM

O.k, I got it.. Gentle hammer and tight grip with channel locks.. whew..

TONGKW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/07

#4508094 - 04/09/11 11:26 PM

A few months ago when I took apart a LXD 55 eq. mount for my friend, I found there are 3 small grub screws holding the shaft collar nut in place. These small grub screws can be reached through one of the screw holes and require a 1.5 mm Allen key for loosening. The LXD 75 may use the same system.

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4508992 - 04/10/11 12:20 PM

Quote:

O.k., I'm in the middle of a Hypertune on my LXD75 mount and am unable to get the setting circles / right ascension assembly apart. The Hypertune DVD says it's easy and they should just slide apart but mine certainly doesn't. There's a ring in front of it that I've loosened, but nothing appears to give. I've tried channel locks to break loose the Polar Scope / Clock dial assembly but no luck.. Any ideas?

On the newer LXD75 mounts, the polar scope holder is often glued in with thread lock (perminant). The way to take care of this is to use a small torch (like a fine-tipped propane torch or a butane pencil torch) to heat the inside of the holder (in your picture) to loosen the thread lock. Once it is good and warm, the holder should come out much easier. In addition, use a piece of leather (like an old belt) to cushion the jaws of your channel locks to keep from maring the finish any further.

You can contact me directly for more support.

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 551

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics