Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
SeattleStarGazer

Reged: 10/19/07

Attaching Guidescope to Mount? new
      #4510809 - 04/11/11 10:39 AM

Hi all,

I currently have an Orion ST80 Autoguider scope parallel mounted with a Televue NP127is on a CGEM mount. This weight and configuration challenges the limits of the CGEM and my balancing skills. I am thinking it would be great if I could attach the ST80 to the NP127 mount rings directly, but the finder dovetail on the rings is too small for the ST80 mounting bar. Is there hardware that would let me use this arrangement?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
michael hester
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/08

Re: Attaching Guidescope to Mount? [Re: SeattleStarGazer]
      #4511481 - 04/11/11 03:31 PM

Do the tube rings have piggy back camera mount holes? If so you're in luck, even if one of them has the mount screw in there. I have to assume that the mount rings are like the lower end mount rings you find on most any scope and have that piggyback port on them.

The piggyback port is a 1/4-20 screw as that is standard for all cameras. All you need to do is get 2 more screws like that (at home depot for $1) and use those to bolt the orion dovetail to the top, then bolt the guidescope rings to the dovetail (as they probably already are).

Most scope rings should have some kind of 1/4-20 holes on top of them just for attaching a guide scope to.

Piggyback imo is more stable and definitely easier to setup as there is only one axis to balance instead of two

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 515

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics