Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,
Should I get a Vixen SXD AP Work new
      #4510197 - 04/11/11 12:15 AM

I've had a few mounts over the last 6 years

LXD-75, Eq-6( Great mount Very heavy) and now a CG-5

I like the CG-5 for It's portability and is quite good up to about a 15 lbs load for guiding and AP

The Vixen looks attractive since it's load is 50 lbs Visual
probably around 25lbs AP?? it also has PEC and assuming the Periodic error is considerably less than the CG-5

The Tripod looks unstable to me ??

Help w comments please

Thanks

Greg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: Should I get a Vixen SXD AP Work new [Re: Gregk]
      #4510200 - 04/11/11 12:20 AM

Hi Greg,

Keep in mind the 50# rating includes the counterweights in this case.

Gale

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Should I get a Vixen SXD AP Work new [Re: gdd]
      #4510328 - 04/11/11 03:38 AM

There have been a lot of discussions on this. The general consensus seems to be that if you're buying for AP, the SXD is NOT a good first choice. There seem to be a lot of bugs in the DEC guiding electronics.

Note that the problems on the SXD are not mechanical (like any Vixen, they are mechanically great) but in the electronics. Some folks have fixed this by getting the "NexSXD" board (about $300) which replaces the Vixen electronics with a board that is compatible with a Celestron handset (you need to buy the Celestron HC separately). This gives you the famous Celestron All-Star Polar Align and gets rid of the DEC guiding problems, but adds to the cost.

The good old EQ6 (and CGEM) are still considered better choices overall. I was choosing between the SXD and CGEM and went with the CGEM.

Do note that the SXD is rated for 15kg by Vixen Japan. The 50lb figure is grossly overstated. So assume around 10 for imaging.

http://www.vixen.co.jp/at/sxd.htm

The DEC guiding problems on the SXD is one reason why the Vixen GPD2 is still popular.. older technology but well-known and doesn't misbehave.

Since you hate the weight, the iEQ 45 might be a better choice, there are enough users out there getting pretty good results with it.

I'm afraid if you want light-weight and capable, the next step up is an A-P Mach1. (the reason I settled for a CGEM)

Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,
Re: Should I get a Vixen SXD AP Work new [Re: gdd]
      #4510947 - 04/11/11 11:36 AM

Ok..Wonderfully dissapointed ....Thanks for the inputs
saved me some major $$$$$ 1650.00..Will keep what I have For $450.00 you can't beat it

How is the periodic error on the CGEM?

Greg

Edited by Gregk (04/11/11 11:39 AM)

Whirlwind

Reged: 04/12/04

Re: Should I get a Vixen SXD AP Work new [Re: Gregk]
      #4511392 - 04/11/11 02:41 PM

Hi

As a faint voice in the void, I have an SXD and find it fine as an AP mount at the focal length I 'work' at (500 - 650mm). My latest photo is linked below

M42 flickr

I guess its not a Mach 1 (maybe one day) but I don't seem to have problems others have reported with starbook. I have a vague recollection that someone once said that the sudden jerks in dec were a feature of starbook trying to correct for polar misalignment. But I only ever sync to one star when doing AP so i may just avoid it (goto is pretty much spot on anyway - usually in the frame). Don't use PEC btw.

It is rated for only about 15 kg and the tripod seems fine for the weight I have on it - strangely the small extension pier is a weak link.

The advantage for me is that it is light. I don't have a permanent set up but i can easily carry it out side with all the equipment attached - that's one of the main reasons i got it in the first place.

Thanks

Ian

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Should I get a Vixen SXD AP Work new [Re: Whirlwind]
      #4511644 - 04/11/11 05:00 PM

That's an excellent image Ian! I would say your mount is a winner. Joe

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Should I get a Vixen SXD AP Work [Re: jmiele]
      #4511903 - 04/11/11 07:10 PM

Let me clarify --

My use case is a C9.25, according to one of the posters here who has an SX-D, that mount is great so long as you stay under 8-10 kg (which the C9.25 is not).

I haven't measured the PE, because I live at a low latitude and the CGEM doesn't go that low (still trying to have a wedge made), so the tracking accuracy sucks. GoTo's are on the dot though.

Another thing about the SX-D is that to get good GoTo's you need four pairs of alignment stars (2 pairs on each side of the meridian). So far I'm only using 2-star align on my CGEM (2 stars on one side of the meridian -- and that's with a 15-degree latitude misalignment) and its good enough to put my targets inside the FOV of a 32mm Plossl on the C9.25 (about 0.7 degrees).

I will note that the C9.25 is 2350mm focal length which is very, very long. I haven't tried imaging with this setup. At the usual 400-600mm focal lengths imaging is much simpler (and I have a Vixen GP for that, which is more than enough for my teeny tiny 70mm refractor).

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 981

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics