Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
vpdwl1960

Reged: 03/24/09

CELESTRON CG-5 questions
      #4515441 - 04/13/11 12:19 PM

I have a new Celestron CG-5, It is the 2nd one I have owned. I have a setting of about 32 degrees latitude from where I live. When I am using the polar alignment routine I cant get to the altitude adjustment screw on the front end of the mount to adjust to get the correct altitude, because the housing on the CG-5 mount is in the way. You can not turn the screw, on the front side of the mount only very tight working conditions. Are there any aftermarket adjustment screws or knobs that will work on this

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: CELESTRON CG-5 questions new [Re: vpdwl1960]
      #4515465 - 04/13/11 12:28 PM

The screw on the front is not an adjustment screw. It is only a stop. You use the rear screw for adjusting the mount.

Stan

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CELESTRON CG-5 questions new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4516146 - 04/13/11 05:46 PM

Quote:

The screw on the front is not an adjustment screw. It is only a stop. You use the rear screw for adjusting the mount.

Stan

Actually it can also be used for adjustments. But it is not very useful for latitudes near 30 degrees. I removed mine and put it in a drawere somewhere.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: CELESTRON CG-5 questions new [Re: rmollise]
      #4516269 - 04/13/11 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stan

Actually it can also be used for adjustments. But it is not very useful for latitudes near 30 degrees. I removed mine and put it in a drawere somewhere.

You must use lighter counter weights or anti gravity weights. I just have the stock ones.

Stan

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CELESTRON CG-5 questions new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4516316 - 04/13/11 07:13 PM

Quote:

You must use lighter counter weights or anti gravity weights. I just have the stock ones.

Stan

Sho' would like some Anti-Gravity counterweights!

I didn't have any trouble at all adjusting with either bolt with two 11 pound weights on the mount. It's just that at my latitude there is not enough clearance to use the front bolt.

PHampson
sage

Reged: 10/25/05

Loc: Nashville, TN
Re: CELESTRON CG-5 questions new [Re: rmollise]
      #4516754 - 04/13/11 11:09 PM

I've used both of them for adjusting at one time or another without any problem. Need to loosen the opposing one before tightening the other, of course, unless you want to hurt yourself. I've done that, too.

Paul

Dan Watt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Oceanside, Calfornia.
Re: CELESTRON CG-5 questions new [Re: PHampson]
      #4516874 - 04/14/11 12:36 AM

I had the same issue on my CG5 at 33 degrees, forward altitude adjuster would contact the plastic housing for the RA motor. Removed the knob and never looked back, doesn't seem to affect stability while imaging.

Pages: 1

Extra information
28 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 894
Calendar Event: 04/13/11

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC