Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Brent Campbell
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Olympia, WA
Has anyone ever adopted Nexstar electronics ?
      #4521711 - 04/16/11 08:26 AM

Has anyone ever adopted nextstar electronics for use in push to arrangement? I have an older SCT (Ultima) that can use an electronics upgrade. I'm sure there are allot of DOB owners out there that can use the electronics as well.

I can purchase a used Nexstar scope (not with wonderful optics) such as one of their reflectors etc. That gives me a computer, encoders, wiring harness etc for under $100.00. Just wondering if anyone has done this before?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Has anyone ever adopted Nexstar electronics ? new [Re: Brent Campbell]
      #4521730 - 04/16/11 08:40 AM

Quote:

Has anyone ever adopted nextstar electronics for use in push to arrangement? I have an older SCT (Ultima) that can use an electronics upgrade. I'm sure there are allot of DOB owners out there that can use the electronics as well.

I can purchase a used Nexstar scope (not with wonderful optics) such as one of their reflectors etc. That gives me a computer, encoders, wiring harness etc for under $100.00. Just wondering if anyone has done this before?

You don't get encoders, you get motors with built in encoders.

So you'd have to covert the scope to full go-to, which is not very practical. The problem is the declination axis on the Ultima has a tangent arm drive. You'd have to implement a worm gear drive for it.

Best alternatives:

Digital setting circles. I like the Sky Commander and the Argo Navis.

Or...

Do what I did with my U, put it on a go-to GEM. I moved the Ultima 8 OTA to a CG5 and have used it more than ever.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 442

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics