Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
DarrinW

Reged: 02/12/10

De-forking
      #4522052 - 04/16/11 12:41 PM

I currently have a 10" LX 200 ACF and I'd like to upgrade in steps. I'm looking at a Paramount MX for mount. If I was to remove my OTA from the Meade fork mount and install it on the MX, would I be able to re-install it on the Meade mount and still have it work well? 

Down the road I'd like to upgrade the OTA and then sell the Meade. 

Thanks
Darrin

Sent from my iPad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lambermo
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/16/07

Loc: .nl
Re: De-forking new [Re: DarrinW]
      #4522320 - 04/16/11 03:37 PM

This is the 'classic' lx200 model without gps, right ? I have one of these and have deforked it, and reforked it without any issues.
Follow this -> http://www.cabrillo.edu/~rnolthenius/observatory/NewObsBldg/LX200OTA/index.htm

-- Hans

DarrinW

Reged: 02/12/10

Re: De-forking new [Re: lambermo]
      #4522489 - 04/16/11 05:21 PM

No, newest model, bought it last year

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: De-forking new [Re: lambermo]
      #4522493 - 04/16/11 05:23 PM

Don't do this- sell the LX200 and get a slick ota to take it's place. It will sell for enough to pay for a new ota.

-Rich

Gargoyle
sage

Reged: 03/13/08

Loc: Long Island, New York
Re: De-forking new [Re: Starhawk]
      #4523340 - 04/17/11 12:09 AM

Darrin,

Tough decision. Overall I agree with Rich to sell the mount and OTA as is. But I also see the value of de-forking the LX200 (as I had done) and plan for a re-mount if necessary. The value is of course situational and depends upon your end state.

The complications with this is marking prior to de-forking and re-alignment when re-forking. When I de-forked my LX200 I took attention to marking the forks to the base as to insure re-installation alignment if necessary. Not a difficult task, but a responsible one nonetheless. There's a lot of good advice on the MAPUG site as well as on our host site CN as well specific to LX200's on how to mark the forks to the base prior to a de-fork operation. Please see the link below for some info on this:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8/Number/2725162/page/82/view/collapsed/sb/8/o/all/fpart/1

To answer then your question, yes you could de-fork the OTA and re-fork it if your attention to detail relative to alignment marking is sound. That being said, I don't know how accurate the alignment of the OTA to the mount will be, but you could do it.

Most of the advice I found in researching de-forking LX200's was that it is pretty well given to be a one way journey, you de-fork and mount on a GEM. That was my personal experience and I have not looked back once. But your situation and requrements may be different. That being said, you may want to consider Rich's advice as equally valid if not more if your end state is to have the MX and an upgraded OTA. Save you a lot of work and effort in the long run.

Jerry

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 677

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics