Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

Reged: 10/14/08

Loc: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Got Android? Please test!
      #4528393 - 04/19/11 07:32 AM

Hi all!

I really hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this message, if it does, then I apologize upfront to the wise and omnipotent moderators!

If you own an Android phone, I would like to invite you to try my new Android application, FOViewer. You can find it in the Android Market.
This is my first Android application and I really need some constructive feedback on it so that I can make it even better. And who better to judge my astronomy related programming skills than you folks?

Feel free to discus your experiences with the app in this thread, I'm really looking forward to your feedback!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
psonice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/09

Loc: Warrington, UK
Re: Got Android? Please test! new [Re: Bas van Krieken]
      #4528502 - 04/19/11 08:58 AM

No android here, but that looks good

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

Re: Got Android? Please test! new [Re: psonice]
      #4528515 - 04/19/11 09:07 AM

Thanks! I've tried to use a nightvision friendly UI as much as possible. And because I like nice UI's myself, I went beyond the boring standard buttons and stuff

psonice
Pooh-Bah

#4528539 - 04/19/11 09:21 AM

Yeah, just the text fields show some grey. I guess the keyboard isn't red too? (I do iOS dev, and have done similar custom UIs.. and yes, the keyboard is a big pain to make red

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

#4528551 - 04/19/11 09:29 AM

Nope the keyboard is not nightvision proof I'm afraid, so better add your equipment during the day It's easier to read all the specs from the labels on your equipment during the day anyway

psonice
Pooh-Bah

#4528568 - 04/19/11 09:38 AM

If anyone's going to use stuff like this at night and is seriously worried about nightvision, they'll want a rubylith sheet over the screen anyway, because of backlight bleed/lock screen/notifications etc. etc. etc. Covering the basics so you can look up some info is enough

cuir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/07

Loc: Up north.
      #4529813 - 04/19/11 05:41 PM

Nice and works well, and I hope it is just the begining, because this has a lot of potential. Here's a few suggestions to help increase usability and appeal:

- GPS coordinate are too small, increase font size. Through my protector, they are too hard to read.
- Swiping left or right on the target image to switch the eyepiece, and swiping up and down to switch the target would be a welcome addition.
- Having a few small footprint targets would be nice. M57 and M104 would be nice additions.
- Multiple targets for the same FOV would also be nice. Leo triplet, Perseus double and M81+M82.

If you add the proposed targets, this could become a nice teaching tool for more experienced observers helping newbies. As-is, it will help some of the less experienced users, but including the suggested targets would make even more helpful. An easy way of finding out what eyepieces to use for tiny planetary nebulae and galaxies like M57 and the Sombrero would have helped me a lot in my beginnings.

psonice
Pooh-Bah

Re: Got Android? Please test! new [Re: cuir]
      #4530073 - 04/19/11 07:28 PM

Pinch to zoom makes a good way to change eyepieces, because you are effectively zooming by changing them.

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

#4530794 - 04/20/11 03:00 AM

@Cuir Excellent feedback! Thanks a lot for those suggestions, I've put them all on my ToDo list. I only have two questions;

1. You do know that you can already switch targets by tapping the preview? If you do than could you please explain to me what you mean exactly?
2. What do you mean by multiple targets for the same FOV?

@psonice Pinch to zoom would indeed be a great addition, but not all Android devices support multi-touch pinch to zoom. But I'll keep your suggestion in reserve

cuir
Carpal Tunnel

#4531982 - 04/20/11 03:50 PM

Quote:

You do know that you can already switch targets by tapping the preview?

Actually, I did not. I tried to swipe left and right with no results... Never thought of trying a tap... BTW, I noticed M81/81, really cool.

Quote:

multiple targets for the same FOV ?

With a C8, M81/82 cannot quite fit in a Nagler 16's FOV, and both Galaxies are to the left of the FOV circle. Having a way to re-center either image or the FOV circle would be a nice touch.

Keep up the good work.

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

#4533590 - 04/21/11 07:33 AM

@cuir
Hmm maybe tapping is not the most intuitive choice for cycling through the previews... Recentering the VOF circle by dragging would conflict with your wish to cycle through the eyepieces by swiping left or right (which I already added to version 1.1 which is in development right now).
I think the easiest solution is to change the m81/82 preview and place the galaxies in the center of the image. I'll get on that.

cuir
Carpal Tunnel

#4534348 - 04/21/11 01:19 PM

If you change the image-changing gesture for a swiping motion, Is it possible to create re-centering function which can be started with a "tap & hold" on the image for a second ? Could the "new position" then be saved using the same "tap & hold" trigger ?

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
      #4535580 - 04/21/11 11:09 PM

Downloaded and testing on my Samsung Mesmerize for you

Timm

cuir
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Got Android? Please test! new [Re: timmbottoni]
      #4550793 - 04/29/11 12:06 AM

Downloaded the update tonight. Thank you for adding M47, M57 and M104. It's nice to see one's input being heard.

I just noticed you are also working on setting up your website. Looking forward to that support section.... Will it be a "Blog with reader Feedback" formula, or an E-mail form type of arrangement ?

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

#4550956 - 04/29/11 03:46 AM

Wow cuir! You beat me to it, I was just going to announce the 2.0 update of FOViewer!

You made some very good suggestions so they deserve to be included! I'll try to grand as many wishes for FOViewer as possible.

About the site, my plans are pretty ambitious and include a forum and a form based e-mail service. But if I can arrange it, a Blog with feedback would certainly be a better idea.
But every time I open the Joomla administrator to get some work done, something intervenes and I get nothing done

Ill try to get more stuff on the site asap!

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

Re: Got Android? Please test! new [Re: timmbottoni]
      #4550958 - 04/29/11 03:54 AM

Thanks Timm!

And how does it perform, everything works fine and smooth?
DO you perhaps have some way to make a picture of the app while running on your phone? The Mesmerize is a fairly new phone and I'm wondering how much screen real estate the app is using.

Do you have any wishes concerning the app?

Bas van Krieken
Vendor - FOViewer

#4551025 - 04/29/11 05:58 AM

There... I finally managed to get some stuff on the site

cuir
Carpal Tunnel

#4551204 - 04/29/11 09:06 AM

Good idea, that... My phone's an Atrix. Foviewer was not designed for the 540x960 qHD display, so it's a little offset. Doesn't affect me, but thought you might want to know.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #4552842 - 04/30/11 02:37 AM

Thanks for the program, couple of observations on my part after testing on Nexus S (2.3.1) and G1 (1.6) - works great on both of 'em:

* great idea for the time/gps/compass info on screen, however it looks like the gps portion is quite a battery drain according to OS's list of what's using phone battery.

* exit pupil info would be nice to have

cuir
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Got Android? Please test! new [Re: core]
      #4552873 - 04/30/11 03:29 AM

Quote:

exit pupil info would be nice to have

Indeed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5447

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics