Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
memornix

Reged: 09/09/09

Loc: North Jersey
Meade LXD75 new
      #4532290 - 04/20/11 05:47 PM

I currently have an Orion Skyview Pro holding my Orion 8" Astrograph, but the mount is alittle light for AP and I would like to upgrade to goto.

I noticed the Meade LXD75 is rated to 47lbs, gets decent marks for its goto and is relatively cheap (like everyone, I am on a budget) The 47lb rating seems really outlandish for a mount of this size, but otherwise it seems like a good solution.

Does anyone out there have any experiences they would like to share about this mount, or have another to recommend in the same price range with about a 25lb capacity.

Also, what about autoguider functionality with this mount, will an Orion Solitaire work?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Meade LXD75 new [Re: memornix]
      #4532327 - 04/20/11 05:58 PM

Whoa! That sounds like a misprint. I think the LXD75 is rated at 27 pounds, but you might check with Meade's web site for the real number. My imaging LXD75 regularly carries 20 pounds without any problems. That includes my SN6, 90mm MCT guide scope, dew shield, guide and imaging cameras. Guiding using PHD works great! I previously would have considered 25 pounds pushing it a bit with an LXD75, but I've recently been imaging with my AR-6 on a new LXD75 (the model with the 2" legs) without any problems and the AR-6 is a heavy scope! I'd guess at east 27 pounds with my camera and filter wheel.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Meade LXD75 new [Re: memornix]
      #4532331 - 04/20/11 05:59 PM

Quote:

I currently have an Orion Skyview Pro holding my Orion 8" Astrograph, but the mount is alittle light for AP and I would like to upgrade to goto.

I noticed the Meade LXD75 is rated to 47lbs, gets decent marks for its goto and is relatively cheap (like everyone, I am on a budget) The 47lb rating seems really outlandish for a mount of this size, but otherwise it seems like a good solution.

Does anyone out there have any experiences they would like to share about this mount, or have another to recommend in the same price range with about a 25lb capacity.

Also, what about autoguider functionality with this mount, will an Orion Solitaire work?

The Skyview Pro and the LXD 75 are very similar, and payload wise the 75 will NOT be an upgrade. If you need more payload, look at the Orion Sirius and Atlas and the Celestron CGEM.

You can guide the 75, but it will have to be through the HC serial port--the mount does not have an autoguide port.

Edited by rmollise (04/21/11 05:56 AM)

memornix

Reged: 09/09/09

Loc: North Jersey
Re: Meade LXD75 [Re: jgraham]
      #4532355 - 04/20/11 06:09 PM

Yeah, the 47lb certianly seemed like a misprint, but I believe I found it somewhere on Meade's site.

As for the autoguiding situation, I have been looking at a Sirius in order to simplify my wiring, and if the payload is really that similar to the SVP, then the LXD may not be the way to go.

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 394

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics