Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... new [Re: Footbag]
      #4531934 - 04/20/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I found Rob Miller's tripods at:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=717189#photos

I can't figure out how to level their tripods on a uneven surface. It says it will accommodate up to 4" of uneven ground.

Peter

I was looking at the same thing. The price and weight is very tempting, but I cannot figure out how you would level it.

Maybe this?

Seems like it won't have as many increments of adjustment as would be necessary.

Yes that is how they are adjusted. It has plenty of adjustability for the average observing site, about 4 inches of leveling difference overall using the pin lock to adjust spacing followed by the knobs to tighten up and lock the tripod.

The different footpads are under development right now and will be out in test versions withing a short period of time. The regular version has about an inch or a touch more of adjustment available, and the fine or 'precision' version has a little over a half inch. This could still change slightly but the final versions will likely be very close to that. I personally don't know why one would require the precision version, but the design is very interesting and totally enclosed to keep dust and dirt out.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... new [Re: Footbag]
      #4531945 - 04/20/11 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The AP Pier is VERY stable but takes some breakdown and setp time. It also needs a pretty much level surface to setup on... Joe

That is the one with the cables right? I watched someone setup one and he had a bit of difficulty on an unlevel surface. That may pose a problem.

They are not actually cables but turnbuckles made of stainless steel. As such they are rigid pieces which tighten and loosen via the double ended nut or 'turnbuckle'.

The AP portable pier can be adjusted by about a half inch from level. Not much, but sufficient for very minor adjustment. Any major adjustment should be taken care of with a shovel or leveling bricks, boards, etc.

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... new [Re: coz]
      #4531956 - 04/20/11 03:36 PM

Quote:

I think I'm going to try the PWT Pinnacle. I believe they are ready now and I like the design and strength.

Be sure to let us know how that works out. Shahin is a wonderful person to speak with. Full of incredible ideas and enthusiasm. A perfectionist when it came to his Monolith mounts.

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #4532000 - 04/20/11 03:54 PM

Take a look at this link:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto/message/31458

It looks like Mach1 GTO is being slightly redesigned.

Peter

Duncan Kitchin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/16/04

Loc: Beaverton, OR, USA
      #4532063 - 04/20/11 04:24 PM

Great information from everybody! I'll probably look at the Rob Miller tripods once I actually get a production allocation on the Mach 1. Hoping to get in on the next run...

Regards & Clear Skies
Duncan

vahe
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... new [Re: Duncan Kitchin]
      #4532157 - 04/20/11 04:58 PM

My name came up last year with a phone call from AP for a Mach 1, but I had to decline until I could sell my 900 mount, now I am ready and AP is telling me that my name is on the next run of Mach 1 scheduled for the summer of 2011, that is the mount with improved azimuth adjustment just announced by AP’s Howard on AP Yahoo group.

I am downsizing to something more portable, I still have my old “Celestron” G11 with 42” non adjustable legs, it is tall enough for my 6” F/9 refractor without resorting to any pier extension. The Mach 1 is primarily for my larger Maks where lower overall height makes for a more comfortable viewing position with these fat Cats.

Mach 1 is currently the most expensive AP mount when factoring all its attributes compared to 900 & 1200 mounts.
I am not sure about the tripod/pier, need to do more research on that.

Vahe

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... new [Re: vahe]
      #4532891 - 04/20/11 10:00 PM

Peter,
Thanks for the update post. The changes to the forth coming Mach1 run and an upgrade kit for previous runs is good news. Although there is some slight shift when tightening the knobs, it's fairly easy to compensate for. Increasing the precision of the adjustment and eliminating the shift will make the PA setup much quicker ...

... and I don't think anyone can fault someone for being an AP enthusiast (fanboy)... There is a point in this hobby when your level of expectations begins to be met when you realize that precision gear requires a bigger investment. That doesn't translate into world class images. The AP'r still has to garner the knowledge and skills to use it properly. Better optics, mounts and cameras give you the tools necessary to develop and improve your skills. There's no magic formula that says buy this and that, plug it all together and Bob's your uncle. Just wanted to put this out there for those reading this thread, thinking along these lines. Some of the work done by folks with an Atlas and 8" Newt amazes me. Some day, I hope to do as well...

Edited by BlueGrass (04/20/11 10:40 PM)

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #4532997 - 04/20/11 10:40 PM

Quote:

When a portable pier is required, I don't really see that there is any real choice other than one of these.

The Astro-Physics portable piers are much more rigid and massive. If you have very level ground, then an AP pier is a better choice.

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... new [Re: frolinmod]
      #4533093 - 04/20/11 11:28 PM

Quote:

The Astro-Physics portable piers are much more rigid and massive. If you have very level ground, then an AP pier is a better choice.

I'll give you that AP portable piers are more massive. Actually I can't think of a single portable pier/tripod that isn't significantly more massive than the equivalent Rob Miller tripod. Massive does not impart stability.

I still have one 10" AP portable pier. I had two once upon a time, a shorty for the Newtonian and a tall one, which I still own, for refractor use. Yes it is massive. Yes it is stable. It is also a pain to herd and transport all the parts. It basically requires a surface close to perfectly flat and hard to set up on. It resides outdoors in my back yard all the time and is going to stay there until the observatory is finished. I'll take the Rob Miller TRI36M tripod for my Mach1GTO, or AP900 over it any time I travel to a remote observing site.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
      #4535561 - 04/21/11 10:53 PM

I am anxiously awaiting the Tri36M tripod. It is en-route arriving Monday
...now if I only could know when the AP1200 will be shipping for this production run.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: AP Mach1 and general GEM questions... [Re: korborh]
      #4535631 - 04/21/11 11:52 PM

It will be worth the wait rest assured From what I hear so is the tripod.. Joe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4097

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics