Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Yedgy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/22/08

Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Tripod Advice Needed
      #4535806 - 04/22/11 02:43 AM

I bought a Tak Teegul Lapides mount for G&G visual use with my 60mm scope. I'm curious about mounting the FSQ on it (also for visual use), but I'm afraid my Manfrotto tripod will be way too rickety to handle the weight (the FSQ is about 20 lbs. with finder, rings, etc., plus another 7 or so for the mount).

I'm trying to minimize my expenditures, so I'd appreciate your suggestions. I don't do a great deal of visual, and much of what I'd be doing would be limited to lunar/planetary plus an assortment of brighter DSOs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Yedgy
professor emeritus

Re: Tripod Advice Needed new [Re: Yedgy]
      #4536611 - 04/22/11 01:15 PM

Looks like Berlebach makes a wide variety of tripods. Would a UNI 24 be overkill for my setup?

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #4536652 - 04/22/11 01:33 PM

The Oberwerk tripod that comes with the WO EZ is light, sturdy and stable. I have my IM715 on the EZ and use my WO ZS110 on a Voyager mounted on one. Both scopes weigh about 20lbs. and are used for high power lunar-planetary a lot. I picked up the Voyager's on clearence from Teton for $170 shipped. Big Binos. has blems on sale pretty often for around the same price. David

Edited by dscarpa (04/22/11 01:35 PM)

M44
sage

Reged: 03/24/07

Loc: SoCal.
      #4536755 - 04/22/11 02:31 PM

Years ago, I used Teegul (Lapides Modified)on Berlebach UNI 15 (similar to the current UNI 14) with my Takahashi FS-78. That was a nice setup.

The Teegul handled the 3" scope very well, but tripod was the weak point, it was tippy when the scope is moving between two tripod legs (az motion).

I dont recommend Teegul for a ~20 lbs scope (with accessories attached) with a weak tripod. It may be useful if go for a heavy/higher capacity tripod. Since the scope is side mounted, tripod capacity will be cut in (~)half, so the heavy tripod will not be a grab and go setup.

Also look for a tripod with widest stance, so it wont be tippy. I believe Teegul handles your FSQ for low-power viewing when combined with a solid tripod.

Yedgy
professor emeritus

Re: Tripod Advice Needed new [Re: M44]
      #4537002 - 04/22/11 04:38 PM

Hmm...that gives me some stuff to think about, especially about the capacity of the tripod with the side-mounted telescope.

Is there a way to connect the Lapides mount to a tripod from an Atlas EQ-G? I have one of those lying around because I use a pier for imaging. I wonder if that would be strong enough?

M44
sage

Reged: 03/24/07

Loc: SoCal.
      #4537050 - 04/22/11 04:57 PM

All you need is an adapter with a 3/8-16 Stud to attach it to the Teegul. I heard ADM makes custom adapters, you can check with them. Berlebach also makes adapters for various asro-tripods, but it will be expensive when we include the shipping charges from Germany.

Also, consider the tripod height if you prefer to observe seated or standing. FSQ is a short tube with good balance due to petzvel design. The balance may be little lower to the focuser side when you have diagonal and huge eyepieces. This is advantageous as the tube wont hit the tripod legs when observing near zenith. True zenith viewing is a pain as it is almost impossible to point your scope.

Yedgy
professor emeritus

Re: Tripod Advice Needed new [Re: M44]
      #4537283 - 04/22/11 06:38 PM

Good idea! I've fired off an email to Anthony about the custom adapter. Also, a brief visit to the McMaster-Carr website has me all but convinced that I could replace the center bolt in the Atlas mount with one of the right size.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 581

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics