Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Robo-bob
sage

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Central Alberta
Skywatcher AZ4 Question
      #4536454 - 04/22/11 12:07 PM

Hello CNer's:

I recently purchased a Skywatcher AZ4 mount. I love the look, efficiency and ergonomics of the mount. The altitude motion is smooth and consistent but the azimuth motions is a tad sticky. I have replaced the Synta grease with quality lithium and this has helped but still not great. When I took both axis apart to change the grease, I noticed that the altitude is teflon on ebony star while the azimuth is teflon on aluminum. I am wondering if the factory inadvertently forgot to put in the ebony star ring. Can someone else with this mount please pop the azimuth axis open and have a look see if their mount has an ebony star ring inside it? It's just a matter of spinning the knob off and lifting the mount off the head. Should only take a few minutes to perform. I would be eternally greatful for some input here.

Thanks in advance - Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Megawatt
sage

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Flamborough, Ontario
Re: Skywatcher AZ4 Question new [Re: Robo-bob]
      #4536519 - 04/22/11 12:36 PM

Hey Rob, I have this mount and I was wondering how to go about taking it apart and maybe re-greasing it. I find both motions smooth on mine but there are certain points on both axes where it seems to skip or stick just a touch. I'll see if I can answer that question for you when I have my scope out later today.

Robo-bob
sage

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Central Alberta
Re: Skywatcher AZ4 Question new [Re: Megawatt]
      #4538458 - 04/23/11 10:17 AM

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

Megawatt
sage

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Flamborough, Ontario
Re: Skywatcher AZ4 Question new [Re: Robo-bob]
      #4562099 - 05/04/11 08:08 PM

I also sent you a PM, but just for the CN record it is teflon on aluminum for the azimuth axis.

Pages: 1

Extra information
34 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 653

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics