Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
PascalR
journeyman

Reged: 11/28/10

Tasco Starguide 114 mm - tracking issue new
      #4243678 - 12/12/10 05:27 AM

Hi all,

First post here . I am a total beginner in astrophotography and I am currently using a Tasco Starguide 114mm. I read all I could find on how to properly align my telescope on the web, and I finally managed to get the "Go to" working fine. (even though the first 2 stars won't be found initially, I would have to move the scope quite a lot manually to point to Sirius and Canopus)
My problem is, when I try a 30 sec exposition to shoot Orion's nebula, the tracking will vary from average to really bad without changing any settings from one pic to another.
I was thinking about a motors issue, or the batteries going down.
Is there something obvious I am missing here?

Thanks for your help!!

Pascal

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Tasco Starguide 114 mm - tracking issue new [Re: PascalR]
      #4243699 - 12/12/10 05:56 AM

Quote:

First post here . I am a total beginner in astrophotography and I am currently using a Tasco Starguide 114mm ...

My problem is, when I try a 30 sec exposure to shoot Orion's nebula, the tracking will vary from average to really bad without changing any settings from one pic to another.

Sorry to tell you this, but your telescope cannot be expected to track accurately enough for 30-second exposures -- that's why it's so cheap.

A bare-bones telescope suitable for astrophotography would cost at least $700 if you shopped really carefully. And even then you would have to struggle to overcome its shortcomings.

Easy-to-use astrophoto setups start at around $2,000.

FLYcrash
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Re: Tasco Starguide 114 mm - tracking issue new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #4244138 - 12/12/10 12:45 PM

Welcome to CN, Pascal!

Well, you're in good hands with Tony.

Think about what an astrophotography mount needs to do: Rotate a telescope at a rate of one revolution per day around one axis while supressing vibrations and holding the other axis absolutely steady so that light from a given star consistently hits the same pixel on your chip or the same spot on your film. The tolerances are very tight - a quarter of a percent error in that one revolution per day would give you about an arcsecond of trailing in your 30 second exposures - while the load capacity is substantial.

It amazes me every time I think about it. It isn't surprising that such a piece of machinery would weight a lot and cost a lot of money. There are some great engineers and machinists standing behind a good astrophotography mount, and they have to get paid.

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #4244284 - 12/12/10 01:56 PM

Hi Pascal,

Welcome to CloudyNights. Your Starguide mount is best for visual use and was never intended for astrophotography. However, there is nothing wrong with trying to do some AP with it ... just don't expect great results ... as you've already seen.

Try taking dozens of very short exposures ... around 10 seconds, or to the point you don't get star trails ... and stack them to get a final image. You'll probably get some field rotation ... stars at the corners become short arcs ... but that can be fixed with the proper stacking software. One of the greatest weak points in this mount ... other than the cheap plastic gears ... is the tripod. Make sure the legs are "in" completely and everything is tightened up. Also it's not a good idea to run this mount on the battery pack ... hook-up an external power source.

Unfortunately, astrophotography calls for expensive mounts with expensive, precision machined gears. The more you spend on a good mount, the easier it becomes to get good astro-photos with the least amount of frustration. The Starguide mount puts you at the bottom rung of the ladder with the greatest amount of frustration and the least chance of success. That said, there's really no reason not to go out and have some fun by experimenting with AP ... just don't get set your expectations very high and don't blame me if you get "hooked" and run out to spend $2000 on a new mount!

Jim

PascalR
journeyman

Re: Tasco Starguide 114 mm - tracking issue new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #4244411 - 12/12/10 02:55 PM Attachment (111 downloads)

Thank you guys for your quick replies, much appreciated
Yeah I know I won't be able to take great pictures, I was just wondering if there was any way to improve my mount's performances.
What software do you guys prefer to stack photos?
Here is attached my modest Orion shot

Edited by PascalR (12/12/10 02:57 PM)

FLYcrash
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
      #4244643 - 12/12/10 04:44 PM

Not bad!

I'm not much of an imager at all, but people around here seem to use Registax a lot. It is a free piece of software:

http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

PascalR
journeyman

Re: Tasco Starguide 114 mm - tracking issue new [Re: FLYcrash]
      #4244740 - 12/12/10 05:34 PM Attachment (115 downloads)

Cheers for the link!
and here is Jupiter with same gear and a bit of Photoshop treatment. I've seen much better results with webcam though

PascalR
journeyman

#4534844 - 04/21/11 04:58 PM

sorry to resurrect this thread, I just have a quick question.
I bought a power adapter and a small level to make sure I do the alignment as best as I can and that the power is not a problem.
The Go to worked fine, each stars were centred but then again, as soon as I tried shooting 30sec exposure photos I could see trails.
Could it come from the weight of the camera (nikon 40d) which is plugged where the eyepiece goes?
I am just starting to loose faith in my telescope tracking abilities

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #4536687 - 04/22/11 01:56 PM

Your Tasco Starguide is almost identical to the Celestron C-114 scope I bought many years ago. The scope is mounted on an alt-azimuth mount which makes taking long exposure astro photos impossible. This happens because, while the mount will track a star; the mount's axis of movement is not parallel to the axis of the spinning planet we live on.

30 second photos of objects located near the celestial equator will always show trailing. You should try making a series of exposures starting at 5 seconds and see how long an exposure you can take before the star trails become objectionable. Don't be surprised if its around 10 seconds.
You can take multiple images and, when you combine them, apply translation and rotation to the images to get them aligned.

You can improve the tracking of your mount by making a wedge for it. If you tip the mount so that the azimuth gear follows the celestial equator; you will have "converted" the mount to an equatorial mount. Now, you can track an object using a single motor, the azimuth drive, which will, in theory, allow longer exposures. Unfortunately, taking long exposures requires either perfect gears (way too expensive) or active guiding, which your mount doesn't support. Using a wedge will also limit your view of the sky because you won't be able to image much South of the celestial equator.

You should be able to image the moon, bright clusters, and possibly the brightest nebula and galaxies. All of these can be imaged with a DSLR using short exposures, ranging from less than a second to 5-10 seconds. Planetary imaging requires long focal lengths to get a reasonably sized image. Webcams are usually used for planetary work because they take thousands of frames, allowing the few taken when the atmosphere is steady to be combined to make a good image.

Phil

eric_zeiner
Phoenix's Dad

Reged: 12/09/06

Loc: Georgia USA 34 31'57.18N 83 53...
      #4537105 - 04/22/11 05:24 PM

Pascal, if you got to the nexstarsite.com there are some fixes there for the Starguide and some performance enhancing procedures as well. It is the same platform as the Orion Satrseeker and you should find some cool stuff there.

PascalR
journeyman

Re: Tasco Starguide 114 mm - tracking issue [Re: eric_zeiner]
      #4537773 - 04/22/11 10:22 PM

Phil, thank you so much for taking the time to explain the reason why the tracking isn't good with my mount. For a beginner like me, this is so helpful!!
Eric, cheers! yeah I have read all I could on this website and followed all alignment advices and it improved the Goto by a lot but not so much the tracking. But they say it is a different algorythm for each, so that may be why.
thanks guys for you help, much appreciated!

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2439

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics