Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: plyscope]
      #4544274 - 04/25/11 10:52 PM

You are getting some woodworking skills.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Don W]
      #4544427 - 04/26/11 12:10 AM

Quote:

Beautiful job and one of my favorite scopes that I wish I'd never sold.

Oh, I think we all have a scope we wish we never sold.

That was first light for the Star12 (for this owner). First impression was stunning. Only looked at a three targets in a short session of 2/5 seeing, but the Star12 still handled Gamma Virginis with contemptuous ease. Wow.

I can see why people wait years for AP scopes.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Bob Myler]
      #4544437 - 04/26/11 12:16 AM

Quote:

Simply stunning work. I understand that accurately drilling 5-1/2" straight through each leg hub is an iffy proposition at best - especially since you can't vertically square Berry's trefoil hub on a drill press.

Exactly the problem. And even if you could square it on the drill press the length on a forstner bit is inadequate for a solid block. I was afraid a spade bit would not cut a precise hole, leading to a source of wobble in the mount.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #4544441 - 04/26/11 12:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks Jeff. I really like the hook idea. I had not seen that article.

I don't have a reference immediately available for you, but the author is on CloudyNights from time to time. You could probably pm him for more details. It's a clever idea.

Wes James
Postmaster

Reged: 04/12/06

Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #4544670 - 04/26/11 05:13 AM

Not much I can add to other's comments.... other than to agree- beautiful, exquisite craftsmanship and execution, Jeff-
What kind of plywood did you use in the hub of the tripod? Looks like Maple piano pinblock material!

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Wes James]
      #4545102 - 04/26/11 10:19 AM

Quote:

What kind of plywood did you use in the hub of the tripod? Looks like Maple piano pinblock material!

Nope, standard baltic birch on the plywood sections. I sand it down to 400 grit, then it takes on that look during finishing. I'm using Sam Maloof Oil/Polyurethane (four coats) followed by Sam Maloof Oil/Wax (two coats). Buff it with cloth or 0000 steel wool between each coat.

Despite the sound of it, It is very easy to apply (wipe on wipe off) and holds up well. The product is intended for furniture (that is to say, indoor use). I'm not sure how it would hold up in a high moisture climate. I guess worst case is you go back in a year or two and refinish with spar varnish, but in my dry climate I have pieces holding up well after five years.

I have actually been very frustrated with baltic birch. Maybe it is the dry climate here, but I continue to get lots of tear-out, even with new sharp tools. This project has lots of them, they just don't show at that camera angle and distance. I would like to find a replacement wood for future projects. I can get mahogany plywood, but the veneer is thin, and any telescope subject to frequent transport inevitably gets scratched. Also, the cores on that are MDF (yuck!). I guess I could rip strips of hardwood and glue them to the exposed edges.

If I didn't mention it, the other woods are Black Walnut, Mahogany, and PurpleHeart. The first two are rather easy to work (although the walnut will dull tools faster). On the walnut I initially made the tripod side pieces too thick (13/16" what was I thinking?!) After releasing the clamps the wood had enough spring to actually break the glue bonds! So, I thinned them from to 5/8" on the table saw. And while I hate to use metal connectors, drywall screws supplemented the glue on the second attempt. (The same technique was used on my first tripod.) To hide the screw heads a 5/8" forstner bit was used to make a recess, with further counter sink on the screw heads. Then I glued 5/8" walnut plugs over the "wound". The grain on this wood can be vivid, so it was hard to match plugs perfectly. Close inspection will reveal them. But the wood darkened substantially during the oiling process so that helps then plugs "blend in". And speaking of darkening, the only stain used was red mahogany used (naturally) on the mahogany accents. But even here I did not give the stain much dwell time, most of the darkening comes from the oiling.

The PurpleHeart tends to be brittle and splinter when you are cutting it into thin strips or sections. It also eats up lots of sandpaper, but it does look nice as it oxidizes. I let it sit for about three weeks before I applied finish to deepen the color.

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

#4545274 - 04/26/11 11:26 AM

Quote:

I have actually been very frustrated with baltic birch. Maybe it is the dry climate here, but I continue to get lots of tear-out, even with new sharp tools.

That's becoming my experience. Any cuts across the grain are pretty messy. I do my best to keep the good side up whenever I'm working with this on the table saw. I can't always hide a sloppy edge inside the project.

I don't think it has to do with the dry climate. we're pretty wet around here right now.

Your mount is beautiful. Nice job!

dan

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Bob Myler]
      #4618260 - 06/03/11 11:30 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

After a month of use I have found another design improvement for Berry-style mounts. The original design calls for a azimuth bolt secured by a nut. The orientation of the bolt is head up, threads down. The problem with this is that the nut is inaccessible once you thread the center pipe in place. Sure, you can unhook the leg spreaders and unthread the center pipe to access the nut, but this proves rather inconvenient. But why would one want to do this in the first place?

1) To adjust azimuth friction.
2) To remove the scope cradle for a lighter carry load, or packing in the car.

So, the easy solution was to invert the bolt. I did this by enlarging the hole on the bottom side of the hub, and burying the bolt in 2-ton epoxy. The threaded end now protrudes from the top, allowing for easy access for adjusting azimuth friction.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#4618268 - 06/03/11 11:33 AM Attachment (53 downloads)

The modification also makes it easier to go from azimuth to equatorial mode. I can swap mount heads in less than 3 minutes.

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
      #4618586 - 06/03/11 02:29 PM

As Wile E. would say: "Gad, I'm such a genius!"

Nice work, Jeff.

Frank Dement

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Eastern Washington state
Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: seryddwr]
      #4618752 - 06/03/11 03:58 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

My rendition is crude by comparison. Built mine back in the ninetys. Also with a blue pipe.
You did a really beautiful job. If I can find a pic of my ancient effort I will attach it to this note.

Frank Dement

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Eastern Washington state
Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount *DELETED* new [Re: Frank Dement]
      #4618938 - 06/03/11 05:26 PM

Post deleted by Frank Dement

Mike I. Jones
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/02/06

Loc: Fort Worth TX
Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Frank Dement]
      #4619053 - 06/03/11 06:21 PM

Frank,
Just edit your post, and change pictures by using the same Browse button you used before. Should change the picture when you hit Save and come back to the forum. Let me know if you need help.
Mike

Don Allen
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Mike I. Jones]
      #4619170 - 06/03/11 07:44 PM

Sweet.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Another Berry-style Refractor Mount new [Re: Frank Dement]
      #4622165 - 06/05/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

My rendition is crude by comparison. Built mine back in the ninetys. Also with a blue pipe.
You did a really beautiful job. If I can find a pic of my ancient effort I will attach it to this note.

That looks like a great mount, the main difference is just the rounding on cradle. I like the lightening holes on the leg, I never thought of this. Light weight was never a criteria of the Berry design the lightening cuts are a great idea.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4707

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics