Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: York, England
Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 new
      #4539214 - 04/23/11 05:13 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

Hello again
This is a drawing of Saturn made from last nights observations.

I started observing at half past ten British Summer Time, (21:30 UT), the first 40 minutes of my session were spent adjusting the collimation of the main mirror, and then checking the magnification provided by my Eyepiece with my Binoviewer and Optical Corrector. At about twenty past eleven (22:30 UT) I turned my attention to Saturn.

The first thing I did was to compare the views through my Televue 8mm plossl and 2X Televue Barlow, with the view through my Binoviewer setup, this was just to confirm to myself that I am happier using two eyes, and the answer was 'Yes I am', it's way better!

I observed Saturn for around an hour before making my drawing, features noted from top to bottom are as follows;

South Polar Region was dark Grey-Blue
South temperate region was a paler Grey-Blue
South tropical zone was noted as a softly defined slightly paler narrow strip a little way above the rings.
Southern equatorial belt was seen peeking out both above and below the rings, it was a brownish grey.
Equatorial zone was a bright golden colour, and seemed whiter along its centre line.
Northern equatorial belt was a very warm brown, both its edges were slightly darker than the main portion of the belt, these are the NEBn and the NEBs. They were not crisp but had soft edges which blended into the neighbouring areas.

The Northern tropical zone was much paler than the surrounding regions, but to my eye it has more colour that over recent weeks, specifically it is now more of a golden / tan colour rather than the grey it has been. I had timed my observation to make sure the head of the storm would be well presented and I wasn't disappointed, I first noted the dark wedge shaped column to the right hand side of the central meridian, further to the right of this the zone is quite pale. Shortly after this I noticed a small bright oval patch to the left of the dark wedge, upon closer inspection this bright patch was seen to have a pair of diverging tails flowing away from it to the left hand limb of the disc. This is the head of the storm; not so bright as it has been but still going strong.
North temperate region was a similar colour to the NEB but slightly less intense in tone.
North polar region was a darker / greyer version of this same colour.

The A ring was a tan / brown colour.
The B ring was a paler than the A ring, and showed a bright outer edge, and a dark inner edge
The C ring was easy at the ansae, becoming harder to see nearer the disc, it was slightly paler as it crossed Saturn's face.
Cassini was dark but only seen at the ansae.
A dark brown-grey area was noted on the left had ansa, a spoke?
The shadow of the rings on the disc was thinner in the centre that at the ends, making its upper edge almost a perfectly straight line.
The belts were generally much darker than they were at opposition, and were at least as dark as the disc.

I first observed in integrated light, then with a W21 filter which helped me to notice some of the details in the drawing, although upon returning to the view without a filter I found I could still see all these things, some of them more clearly.

The seeing started as AntIII, and improved through the session to AntII. Transparency started moderate to poor, but improved greatly through the session. By one in the morning British Summer Time, a breeze started to blow and the seeing worsened so I packed up.

Edited by chrisrnuttall (04/23/11 05:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #4539260 - 04/23/11 05:35 PM

Chris,

Great sketch and excellent report.

Frank

Paul G. Abel
sage

Reged: 01/28/10

Loc: UK
Re: Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 new [Re: frank5817]
      #4539556 - 04/23/11 08:08 PM

Hi Chris, a most excellent drawing and a complete report!

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 new [Re: Paul G. Abel]
      #4540257 - 04/24/11 04:09 AM

Just beautiful!

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Re: Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 new [Re: Paul G. Abel]
      #4540266 - 04/24/11 04:18 AM

thanks Paul and Frank, my report was rather complete (long!) this time wasn't it?

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

#4540394 - 04/24/11 07:09 AM

Very nicely done. I like the grey-blue color tone in the south, and the slightly darker edges to the NEB, both features that I observed on my last outing.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 new [Re: Rutilus]
      #4542333 - 04/25/11 12:57 AM

Chris,

An outstanding observation and report on Saturn and the current state of the storm. Your report describes the colors over the globe and rings very nicely and they agree with my own. You have captured the delicate view of the storm very nicely as well. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Re: Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #4542473 - 04/25/11 04:37 AM

Thank you both for your kind comments, I was not sure if I had rendered some of these features too subtly, it is hard to get the balance right sometimes.
regards

mikesemmler
sage

Reged: 06/01/09

#4542655 - 04/25/11 08:22 AM

this is great, a scetch like a photo

Michael

CatalinMT

Reged: 12/12/10

Loc: Turda, Romania
Re: Saturn Drawing 22nd April 2011 [Re: mikesemmler]
      #4542704 - 04/25/11 09:04 AM

Great sketch, love the subtle color tones.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 944

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics