Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Porta II bracket new [Re: joelimite]
      #4536140 - 04/22/11 09:40 AM

Good question, Joel. Not necessarily more stable - but it is certainly not less. Two things the bracket solved for me - having the handle is awesome. I hated swinging the scope around by grabbing the focuser. And, I did not like the sideways positioning caused by the original placement of the dovetail bracket. This is especially true when I use the mount for my C8 - which is not often - but does happen on occasion. Also, the mount is much better now for using it with my camera which I also do occasionally.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Manny Myles
Postmaster

Reged: 11/29/05

Loc: Far South of the flyover city ...
Re: Porta II bracket new [Re: Ouranos]
      #4539128 - 04/23/11 04:22 PM

Great looking setups Stan and Paul!
m2

darkman
Man In Black

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Porta II bracket new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4539295 - 04/23/11 05:57 PM

Stan,

Thanks for posting this, the timing was perfect: I just bought back my old 127mm Mak & Vixen Portamount rig, so 'Manny' just got a PM from me for a bracket & handle.

I really like the TD2 saddle idea also, much more secure attachment.

tedbnh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Porta II bracket new [Re: darkman]
      #4543123 - 04/25/11 12:59 PM

I purchased this bracket (used from AM) and tried it on my Porta II. My problem was, as I tilted the scope more up to zenith, the center of gravity was now quite far from the center of rotation of the mount. As a result, at some point the scope just tipped backward. So I removed it. When the scope is mounted sideways, as difficult as that can be when the RDF is on the non-rotatable part, at least the CG of the scope stays pretty close to the axis of rotation.

However, I may not have had the mount's drag adjusted tight enough. Now that I've fiddled with the drag and gotten it tighter, I will put the bracket back on and try again.

Manny Myles
Postmaster

Reged: 11/29/05

Loc: Far South of the flyover city ...
Re: Porta II bracket new [Re: tedbnh]
      #4543128 - 04/25/11 01:04 PM

The same thing happened with mine, once I tightened it up a slight bit, this never happened again.
m2

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Porta II bracket [Re: Manny Myles]
      #4543148 - 04/25/11 01:15 PM

I had the same issue. It didn't matter which scope I mounted, whether it be a small or large refractor or an SCT or reflector, I found that the 'drag' on the clutch needed to be tightened just a little bit more. Once I had the adjustment to my liking everything worked fine. It's just like everything else...You have to make it just right for you and then all is good with the Universe again.

Stan

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1902

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics