Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ZRX-Steve
sage

Reged: 03/31/08

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: G11 over-achiever new [Re: skybsd]
      #4494120 - 04/03/11 06:36 PM

I used the AT12in from a dark sky site in Western Arizona for two evenings this weekend. I was using a Mallincam video camera exclusively. The views were bright, but the stars were elongated. I collimated, re-collimated... ... but no joy. The next day, one of the members of my club, came and looked at the scope with me. I had installed some collimation knobs from Scopestuff on the secondary, and had changed the distance of the secondary to the primary. He correctly identified the issue and we addressed it and re-collimated it.

The second night, the stars were pin-point...but the winds were high. Gusts of 15mph+. I use 10 4x5.5 foot dark sky panels at the dark sky sites to keep my stray light from annoying the other observers, but even these couldn't keep the scope from being blown around. It's a 52 pound scope, it's long, and it's stretch the capacity of the G11 anyway. It just couldn't keep up with the wind.

I have 18" extensions that fit on top of my dark sky panels, but I didn't have them with me this time. I will in the future. Also, I'm going to make it a habit to keep a shorter, lighter scope with me as a backup. No need to ruin a dark sky weekend over a little wind.

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ZRX-Steve
sage

Re: G11 over-achiever new [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #4544290 - 04/25/11 10:58 PM

Update: I've continued to use the scope with my G11 and my Mallincam. When there's any wind, the scope moves and ruins the view. I have some dark sky panels to help shield it from the wind but even that isn't always enough. I've come to the conclusion that it's just too much scope for the mount for Astro Photography use. When it's calm it does a good job though.

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: G11 over-achiever new [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #4544466 - 04/26/11 12:35 AM

Hi Steve,

Do you thing the G11 could handle handle the AT12in in the wind if it were a double truss OTA?

Gale

Edited by gdd (04/26/11 12:36 AM)

ZRX-Steve
sage

Re: G11 over-achiever new [Re: gdd]
      #4544490 - 04/26/11 01:01 AM

Gale:

Because I use Mallincam, I also have a monitor and laptop which give off light. So if I were using a truss design, I'd have to use a shroud to block the monitor/laptop light which would duplicate the surface 'sail' area. If the weight and length were similar, I'd expect the results to be similar.

Steve

vahe
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: G11 over-achiever [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #4544940 - 04/26/11 09:12 AM

Quote:

There are relatively few times that I find a product that meets and exceeds my expectations, but the G11 is one. You hear the adage, "you get what you pay for", but in this case, the G11 just seems to be a great bargain. I'm very pleased with this mount.Steve

I have one of the earliest G11’s made, this one is almost 18 years old and was marketed as “Celestron” mount, came with non adjustable 42” legs, its very tall and I just right for my 6” F/9 refractor. The ride is pretty bumpy and it shows it at high powers despite new steppers, upgraded gears and all.

But it is a solid mount, the 60 lbs payload capacity is not realistic, the weakest component that impacts the payload is G11’s marginal clutch design, those clutches simply can not safely hold out of balance loads and there is very little that can be done to improve their performance.
And, it is true that you get what you pay for, to put things in perspective and in automotive terms G11 compared to Astro-Physics mounts is like comparing Jeep Wrangler to Mercedes.

Vahe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
30 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2857

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics