Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bachus
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Nashville,TN.
General ?'s on G-11 vs CGEM DX
      #4553410 - 04/30/11 12:16 PM

Hello

I'm in the middle of planning for my Exploradome and pier to hold my Atlas. My first choice for the pier adapter is one from Starizonia...

http://starizona.com/acb/CGEM-Pier-Adapter-Kit-P3254C761.aspx

But I'm always thinking ahead of ..what if...like what if I want a bigger mount. I don't see me getting something with a 100lb payload but possibly a CGEM DX or even the Losmandy G-11 which I've always admired. So I'm considering Dan's Pier Plates (8") since that model has an adaptor for both the CGEM DX and G-11.

So just for "looking ahead" and "if" a CGEM DX or G-11 comes in to play are these good choices in terms of the 50-60lb payload range? I like the Atlas for it's ease and I use PHD Guiding and EQMOD along with CDC. I just don't know that much as to the CGEM DX or G-11 and how they perform now, software, the Gemini 2, etc...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skybsd
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: General ?'s on G-11 vs CGEM DX new [Re: Bachus]
      #4553488 - 04/30/11 01:05 PM

Hello,

Quote:

Hello ...
But I'm always thinking ahead of ..what if...like what if I want a bigger mount. I don't see me getting something with a 100lb payload but possibly a CGEM DX or even the Losmandy G-11 which I've always admired. So I'm considering Dan's Pier Plates (8") since that model has an adaptor for both the CGEM DX and G-11.





Is your intention for photography, or visual purposes?

When thinking of a mount upgrade - its best look at your usage requirements - and not who you "admire", really. Makes assessing and evaluating options more straightforward.


Quote:

So just for "looking ahead" and "if" a CGEM DX or G-11 comes in to play are these good choices in terms of the 50-60lb payload range?





From the get-go, as far as photography is concerned, both the mounts you are already thinking about do not meet your stated payload capacity expectations.

What is your budget plans for a mount upgrade?

If it is that your expected max payload capacity of 60lbs is likely to happen, and it is for photography, then you either need to review your equipment configuration or review your budget.

Regards,

skybsd


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher
*****

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: General ?'s on G-11 vs CGEM DX new [Re: Bachus]
      #4553525 - 04/30/11 01:39 PM

For a 100 lb capacity, you will need a Titan or AP 1200.
Blueman
Quote:

Hello

I'm in the middle of planning for my Exploradome and pier to hold my Atlas. My first choice for the pier adapter is one from Starizonia...

http://starizona.com/acb/CGEM-Pier-Adapter-Kit-P3254C761.aspx

But I'm always thinking ahead of ..what if...like what if I want a bigger mount. I don't see me getting something with a 100lb payload but possibly a CGEM DX or even the Losmandy G-11 which I've always admired. So I'm considering Dan's Pier Plates (8") since that model has an adaptor for both the CGEM DX and G-11.

So just for "looking ahead" and "if" a CGEM DX or G-11 comes in to play are these good choices in terms of the 50-60lb payload range? I like the Atlas for it's ease and I use PHD Guiding and EQMOD along with CDC. I just don't know that much as to the CGEM DX or G-11 and how they perform now, software, the Gemini 2, etc...




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
27 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 569

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics