Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LouP

Reged: 12/27/09

Re: New Mount new [Re: LouP]
      #4537091 - 04/22/11 05:13 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

One more

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4537318 - 04/22/11 06:56 PM

Wow! Looks awesome with the side by side setup.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: New Mount new [Re: nemo129]
      #4546157 - 04/26/11 06:44 PM

VERY nice! I was thinking about the side by side from ADM at NEAF but I passed it by. Now I think I should have gone for it!.

-Dan

Wil2010

Reged: 08/17/10

Loc: Millville, CA
      #4546938 - 04/27/11 01:22 AM

Greetings.

Awesome set up. From what I understand, the 2 scope system creates the most stress on the mount and is somewhat difficult to balance?? Did you find that to be an issue. Oh, and what make of power/battery system do you have in your pic.

Thanks

LouP

Re: New Mount new [Re: Wil2010]
      #4547652 - 04/27/11 12:45 PM

Hi All and thanks for the compliments. I actually have recently purcased an improvement but it has not arrived yet. Based on my experinces with a sbs alt az mount I have, I decided to spring for this http://www.admaccessories.com/Miscellaneous_Max_Guider.htm to use in place of the dual saddle under the refractor. That should greatly assist in aligning the two scopes.

The ADM units really look and feel like there is a lot of care in the design and maufacturing of the equipment. I spoke with Anthony Davoli at NEAF and afterwards, over the phone about the MAX guider and he seems like another great guy involved in astronomy trying to help us all obtain what we want to enhance our hobby. He also purchased an iEQ45 at NEAF to see if he could design and manufacter any enhancements for the mount. During our discussion he asked me if there were any improvements I would like to see added. I told him the only two gripes I have (and I knew going into the deal) were that the extension for the counter weight bar should be included as you can't get close to the maximum weight rating without it and be balanced and the other was the binding issue when trying to balance the dec. With the extension balancing RA was not an issue and I updated all my software and now have an electronic balancing solution for the dec. As a result, I had no improvements to suggest to him but I am sure he is listening and watching so all you iEQ45 owners, I wouldn't hesitate to speak up and ask.

The battery is a Black and Decker unit that I picked up at Home Depot and has worked gret for me so far.

As far as stressing the mount, even with all the equipment, I don't think I am close to the 45lbs load capacity so I am not worried about it.

Let me know if I missed anything.

LouP

LouP

Re: New Mount [Re: LouP]
      #4555394 - 05/01/11 04:00 PM

Hi again all,

Well I had this mount out in the field for the first time last night and was observing until 3:00 AM with it. I have to say that it performed better than I even expected. Polar alignment was a snap and every object I selected after initial alignent was in the eyepiece of both my scopes mounted until the scope jumped the meridian. I was told by a friend there with more experience on a gem than me that this was perfectly normal and he was actually impressed with how close it actually was on the other side of the meridian. After I synced it up on that side, everythnkg else was back in view on the first try. I don't want to get into a go-to vs. push-to disccussion here but I saw more last night than the previous year's sessions combined and spent time with all of the selections in the eyepiece.

My buddy thought my dec motor was loose and we even took the cover off to see if it could be tightened. We could not make anything out and it was starting to get dark so we put the cover back on and let it be. Upon further examination this morning, it looks like there is nothing wrong and the motor is just spring loaded to hold the worm gear in tight. I had many people asking me about the mount yesterday and last night and most are very impressed with it.

I really liked the new auto-balance function that was recently added.

Highly recomened by me as it has turned out all I expected and more.

LouP

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3203

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics