Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
lunar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/03/10

M44 - The Beehive Cluster
      #4560093 - 05/03/11 08:55 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Here's my recent sketch of the Beehive Cluster (M44) . I decided I had better get this gem before it gets too low for me to see over the tops of the trees. The stars were definately difficult to draw in. Especially because there are a lot of dim ones that I could only see with averted vision (I didn't change-out eyepieces for higher magnification, I stuck with 37X with my Q70) .

Clear Skies,
Brandon Doyle

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
exile
sage

Reged: 01/15/08

Loc: Guangzhou, China
Re: M44 - The Beehive Cluster new [Re: lunar]
      #4560776 - 05/04/11 07:59 AM

Nicely executed sketch, Brandon. But...

is this through a Newtonian? the directions are labelled as if it was sketched through a refractor or a Maksutov-Cassegrain with a diagonal. I find it difficult to identify the three bright triangles that distinguish this cluster, I think that's 39 Cancri near the top but can't be sure..

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: M44 - The Beehive Cluster new [Re: exile]
      #4560795 - 05/04/11 08:25 AM

Fine sketch!

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: M44 - The Beehive Cluster new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #4560832 - 05/04/11 08:56 AM

Nicely done!

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #4560921 - 05/04/11 09:53 AM

Brandon,

Very nice sketch of the Beehive Cluster M-44 .

CS,KLU

Tom

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: M44 - The Beehive Cluster new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #4560979 - 05/04/11 10:22 AM

Brandon,

Sketch looks great, nice round stars with a bit of nebulosity.

Frank

lunar
Carpal Tunnel

#4561393 - 05/04/11 01:52 PM

Quote:

Nicely executed sketch, Brandon. But...

is this through a Newtonian? the directions are labelled as if it was sketched through a refractor or a Maksutov-Cassegrain with a diagonal. I find it difficult to identify the three bright triangles that distinguish this cluster, I think that's 39 Cancri near the top but can't be sure..

Thanks for the compliments everyone

And yes, I sketched it through my 10" reflector. I'm not quite sure what happened when scanning this one in, but it seems like some of the clarity was lost. I think I should try it again, then maybe I'll replace the existing sketch or post another version for a comparison.

Thank you!
Brandon Doyle

exile
sage

Reged: 01/15/08

Loc: Guangzhou, China
      #4563036 - 05/05/11 09:56 AM

so you used a Newtonian with a diagonal?? If not, you need to recheck your labelled directions - the view through a Newtonian should be, in clockwise order, West, South, East, North...

JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
      #4563164 - 05/05/11 11:12 AM

Indeed, the directions seem to be a bit wrong on this one. If I'm reading this correctly, S and N should be flipped. Also "the box" of 4 bright stars in the middle of the Praesepe, that is very obvious at the eyepiece, is somehow lost to me in the sketch and I just cannot match the sketch to any of mine.

Lovely sketch none the less. Has a good feeling to it and stars are pretty round and smooth.

/Jake

lunar
Carpal Tunnel

Re: M44 - The Beehive Cluster new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #4563396 - 05/05/11 01:10 PM

No, I didn't use a diagonal with my 10" reflector, sorry for not clarifying. And I did indeed watch to see where the stars drifted in the field, and they do correspond to where West was, along with all of the other cardinal directions. I'm not sure as to how I could've messed them up? The object should drift West, and all of the other cardinal directions should be inferred based on that analysis. I'm going to re-mix this one then, so that those stars are more visible. I don't get much practice because I don't get out that much. However, the field used was large (1.87 degree TFOV), so those stars would be considerably smaller groups, along with a lot more field stars sorrounding them.

I usually don't sketch open clusters, but I guess this gives me a chance to tone my skills on these objects as well. I'll work on this one. Thanks for pointing these things out

Clear Skies,
Brandon Doyle

JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
      #4563462 - 05/05/11 01:46 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure as to how I could've messed them up? The object should drift West, and all of the other cardinal directions should be inferred based on that analysis.

West yes, but south is up, north is down. Not vice versa. I took the liberty of matching the stars correctly - in my opinion - in SkyMap, here's the result with directions visible:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/jaakko.saloranta/Deepsky/M44_Doyle.gif

lunar
Carpal Tunnel

Re: M44 - The Beehive Cluster new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #4565397 - 05/06/11 01:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure as to how I could've messed them up? The object should drift West, and all of the other cardinal directions should be inferred based on that analysis.

West yes, but south is up, north is down. Not vice versa. I took the liberty of matching the stars correctly - in my opinion - in SkyMap, here's the result with directions visible:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/jaakko.saloranta/Deepsky/M44_Doyle.gif

Wow, I guess that's that. I see how I messed it up, and sorry guys My cardinal directions are way-off, I can see that now. I should've taken the time to look closely at this one. I'll re-mix this & fix it.

Thanks
Brandon Doyle

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
      #4568545 - 05/08/11 12:48 AM

Brandon,

An excellent observation of the Beehive Cluster (m44) in Cancer. Do not worry about the directions of the observation as I have made mistakes like this as well in the past. This is a lesson that we all can learn from. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1375
Calendar Event: 05/03/11

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC