Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
new mount questions new
      #4561795 - 05/04/11 05:33 PM

im trying to decide between a celestron cg-5g or a se 6-8 mount. what one would be the better mount for reliability, and ease of operation. im leaning toward the cg-5gt, the only thing im wondering about with this mount is how accurate does the polar alignment have to be for visual only. with the se mount, you dont have to polar align, just set on the ground and do a two star alignment. any + and - about these two mounts would be appreciated. im sure both mounts are ok but i just wont to be happy with my order and also, what company would be best to work with in case there is a defect and might have to send it back " lord forbid " thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
idealistic
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/10

Loc: massachusetts
Re: new mount questions [Re: donnie3]
      #4561848 - 05/04/11 05:57 PM

thoughts on the CG-5:
The polar alignment doesnt have to be spot on for visual use. Just point it north, look at polaris through the hole where the polar alignment scope should be, and do a 2 star alignment. At this point the gotos will be accurate enough, and tracking will be fine. My CG-5 has kept Saturn in the eyepiece at 150x for well over an hour (while I showered, and ate dinner) with the simple procedure listed above.

Some things to take into account:
its kinda heavy, not too bad though.
some wiring issues (power cables)
sometimes I wish I had an Atlas so I could do astrophotography (my 8 inch newtonian is flocked with a dual speed crayford focuser and is a bit too heavy with the upgrades for the CG-5 to be a viable AP mount, forget about a guidescope and DSLR)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 292

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics