Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Lunar Lady

Reged: 04/19/06

Loc: San Bernardino, Calif.
Easy Lat/Long. change with CG5-GT?? new
      #4554000 - 04/30/11 07:20 PM

I have a new Celestron CG5-GT with a saved custom location in the controller. The Lat. is within 1 deg but the Longitude is 54 degrees off. Alignment and setup menus do not give me the option of changing anything. I can see the settings in the "View Time-Site" section, but cannot change them. Does anyone have an easy or efficient way to change those parameters? If so, can it be explained to this GEM / Celestron newbie please? I am getting very frustrated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Trev
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/18/05

Loc: Fort McMurray, AB
Re: Easy Lat/Long. change with CG5-GT?? new [Re: Lunar Lady]
      #4554148 - 04/30/11 09:17 PM

When you first turn the mount on it asks you to enter your information. That is when you put your long/lat in.

Lunar Lady

Re: Easy Lat/Long. change with CG5-GT?? new [Re: Trev]
      #4555553 - 05/01/11 05:56 PM

That is what is supposed to happen, true. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. The problem is, with a saved custom site, Lat./Long. has been previously entered, so therefore it stops asking you to enter your location and only prompts for time and date. What I need to know is how to enter a new custom site (my own) as the one currently in the mount is 54 degrees east of my location. If anyone had a quick & dirty way to do this, I would sure like to know what it is.

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #4556013 - 05/01/11 09:51 PM

Menu -> Scope Setup -> Setup Time-Site -> [UNDO]

Enter Longitude
Enter Latitude
Time, TZ, etc.

Or just Menu -> Utilities -> Factory Settings (follow instructions). Then it will prompt for location on next start.

Lunar Lady

Re: Easy Lat/Long. change with CG5-GT?? new [Re: SkipW]
      #4557132 - 05/02/11 01:04 PM

Thank you both for your answers, tho they still did not address the question asked. There is no easy way to change a "saved" custom location. I tried the instructions in the manual many times and worked for several hours to get a result. When I initially went to "View Time-Site" and clicked "Undo" it just took me back to the previous menu level as per the manual. The only way to change a "saved" custom site is to restore factory parameters, turn off the mount, turn it back on for the reset, and re-enter the Lat/Long correctly. The problem with doing it that way is that all other settings are lost, from tracking mode to calibration to backlash to limits and filters. So that method is a lot of work, hence my query for another way. It seems this is one of the drawbacks of the Celestron firmware.
Perhaps my next project should be to find out if there is a downloadable firmware upgrade adressing this issue. I plan to use this mount in my peripatetic travels around the country every summer, so I was looking for an easy way out.
Thanks again and clear skies to you both.

spencerj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: Londonderry, NH
      #4557267 - 05/02/11 02:21 PM

Sometimes when I read these posts, I think the user is over-thinking things a bit and making a lot more work for themselves.

The Lat/Long settings are not that important. Just pick something from the list that is kind of close to where you are observing. The mount will still work perfectly fine. I set my CG-5 up the other night at my local clubs dark sky site.

My procedure . . .

1. Point the mount towards Polaris.
2. Get it kind of level.
3. Make sure sure you can see Polaris through the polar scope hole (I don't have a polar scope)
4. Connect the mount to the battery.
5. Pick a city from the list that is kind of near where you are.
6. Set the time to something close to the actual time.
7. Make sure the date is correct.
8. Pick some good alignment stars.

Sure, the first couple of alignment stars may be a bit off, but that doesn't matter--not to the alignment algorithm. Use the hand controller to center them up into the FOV. (This is where it helps to pick alignment stars that you are familiar with.) As you progress through the 2 alignment stars and 4 calibration stars, you will notice that the accuracy keeps improving until new stars are dead center in the FOV.

Since I was going to be out for a while the other night, I carefully centered the stars at 150x. (I usually use a 17mm Nagler T4 that only yields about 50x with a wide FOV that makes centering an inexact art, but this was a special occasion so . . .) Still the whole procedure took less than 10 minutes. After 6 hours, new goto's were showing up in the center of the FOV.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did sync on an object after 3-4 hours because in one part of the sky objects were not in the absolute center of the FOV after a goto.

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #4557801 - 05/02/11 07:39 PM

Ah! You don't want to be in View Time-Site.

I didn't ask the obvious question. What version of the HC firmware are you running?

In 4.16 the following works:

Immediately after powering up (before alignment), or from the Advanced GT screen (after alignment):

Press the [MENU] button
[UP] or [DOWN], if necessary, to
Scope Setup (you may have missed this step)
[ENTER]
[UP]/[DOWN], if necessary, to
Setup Time-Site
[ENTER]
You should be at the Time-entry prompt.
[UNDO]

Now you should be prompted to enter Lat/Lon for a Custom Site. Press [UNDO] again if you want to choose from the City Database.

[UNDO] from the Select One: City Database/Custom Site screen allows you to bail out.

I don't think this is in the manual. Someone here mentioned how to get there in another thread.

Edited by SkipW (05/02/11 07:47 PM)

Lunar Lady

Re: Easy Lat/Long. change with CG5-GT?? [Re: SkipW]
      #4562203 - 05/04/11 09:05 PM

Thank you both Skip and Spencer. I just solved my immediate problem by restoring the factory settings and rebooting, re-entering the site data for my location and giving it a trial run. Everything worked fine. I guess I am just used to another company's firmware and expected to be able to click on a menu item and enter a new site, or even save several sites. I have version 4.16 and I am sure I will get used to doing it that way in Wisconsin, Texas, Arizona and Northern California. Not as slick and easy with Celestron, but the CG5 makes up for it. I guess there isn't any really easy way after all. Thanks again and Clear skies!

Pages: 1

Extra information
28 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1039

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics